The Heartbreaking Choice

harper and griffin are 17 years old. when a disaster strikes at the Tremont, griffin is left in the care of the dunns. depressed, he needs help from his girlfriend harper to make the most difficult decision he's ever faced. 

TRIGGER WARNING: GUN VIOLENCE. 

lets begin! :) 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. 

That's all that echoed in Griffin's head as he replayed the days' events in his head. Over and over again. Like a broken record. 

Harper walked in, eyes red and puffy from crying, quickly followed by a nurse to check Griffin's vitals for the fourth time that hour. 

She recorded the information and swapped his IV's before exiting the room. 

"How you feeling?" Harper asked. Griffin shrugged his good shoulder. The other one had a bullet wound right through it. 

Let me explain.....

********

It was a beautiful, sunny day. The Tremont was bustling. Kids were running around, giggling and playing tag, adults were sipping special beverages on the covered porch, many guests were splashing around in the springs. It was a great day overall. Until it wasn't. 

All Griffin remembered hearing was; "Everybody get down!". With that, the first gunshot was heard. Every guest screamed and got down. Except Ben. He was shot, blood spilling out onto the floor. His last breath of life leaving his body. No one had known who this masked shooter was. 

The shooter had shot his dad in the stomach, blew his brothers' brains out, shot his little sister in the side, and his mom in the heart. Sarah had been lifeflighted, but didn't survive the helicopter ride. Zoey was in emergency surgery at the moment, no telling if she would survive. Griffin was shot in the shoulder and the leg, lucky to get paramedics there quick enough to save him from bleeding out. 

17 guests were injured, 6 murdered. The shooter had gotten away. The police were still in pursuit, hopefully getting closer to the culprit. 

*******

Now, here he was, parentless, brotherless, and there was no telling if his sister would live, and even if he'd get to say goodbye if she didn't. He was hooked up to 7 different IV's, was constantly kept on a heart monitor, and was sobbing uncontrollably. 

"Zo?" Griffin squeaked out. 

"I don't know, love. She's still in surgery." Harper sighed. Griffin sniffled. Harper sat on the edge of his hospital bed and kissed him lightly on the forehead, playing with his hair gently as he cried and holding his hands in her own, rubbing circles into his palms, doing her best to calm him as much as she could. 

He cried even harder as he looked at his girlfriends bruised face. When the pretty teenage girl had tried to disarm the gunman from the back, he took the gun and hit her in the face with it, knocking her out. At least she didn't get shot. 

"Hey, Griff. How you feeling?" Jess asked, walking into the room, Topher on her heels. He gulped. 

"I'm fine." He tried to convince himself. 

"I'm gonna steal Harp for a minute. Toph, will you sit with him." Jess said. Topher nodded and smiled at Griffin. Harper and Jess exited the room. 

"She's gone." Jess said, tear falling. 

"No." Harper cried. Zoey was like a little sister to her and even worse, she knew that this would be Griffin's last straw. 

"I'll tell him, just comfort him, okay?" Jess asked. Harper nodded. Both girls wiped their tears and reentered the room. Harper retook her place on the bed and gripped his hand.