Sickness

Everyone was worried. Especially Griffin. 

Harper had been sick for weeks on end now. They were now on week 4 of Harper's headaches, body aches, puking, and the worst part, coughing up blood. She was laying in bed, trying her hardest not to throw up. Harper was tired of this. She had tears streaming down her face and she couldn't take another day of this torture. 

Griffin knocked lightly. 

"Come in." Harper sniffled. He came in carrying a tray with tea, oatmeal, and a bright smile. Harper could tell his smile was pasted on as he was just as scared as she was, but it was still appreciated. 

"How are you feeling, Harp?" Griffin asked hopefully. Harper just sighed and Griffin frowned. "You hungry?" 

"Not really." Harper mumbled. Griffin sighed. He set the tray down and strolled over to the bed, sitting on the edge. Harper looked up at him, a sad look in her eye. 

"I think your mother's right, Harper. It's time to go to the hospital." Griffin offered in a worried tone of voice. 

"I don't want to go to the hospital!" Harper cried. 

"I know, Harper, but its for the best. If you're sick, the best thing for you is to at least find out what it is." Griffin pleaded. 

"I'm not going, Griffin." Harper said sternly. He sighed. 

"But what if something's seriously wrong with you?" Griffin asked with teary eyes. Harper noticed his watery eyes and her gaze softened. 

"Griff, I don't want to go to the hospital, but I promise to have my mom schedule an appointment for next week if I'm not better by then." Harper offered, grabbing his hand and rubbing circles on the back of it. Griffin swallowed hard and batted at his eyes with a nod. 

"Fair enough. Thank you." He said happily. Harper nodded. 

************

A few hours later, Griffin was sitting in the chair at Harper's desk, scrolling through his TikTok as Harper slept soundly in her bed. A few moments later, Griffin's attention jolted away from his phone as he heard retching. 

He shot up and sprang into action, rushing over to Harper as she spewed into the bucket beside her bed. Griffin pulled her hair back and held it behind her shoulders. He rubbed her back and whispered calming things to her while she puked. 

"I wish you would just go to the hospital, love." Griffin sighed, rubbing her back as they sat on her bed. She shot him a stern look and he shrugged and kissed her temple. 

**********

It had been a week and like she promised Griffin, Harper had her mother schedule an appointment as she was still horribly sick. After a few tests and lots of questions towards the doctor from Griffin and Jess, Harper was resting in the hospital bed and reading a book. Griffin sat next to her, scrolling on his phone and Jess sat across the room, painting her nails. 

A doctor came in a few minutes later with a solemn look. 

"We just got Harper's test results back and I'd like to be alone with the patient and mother please." The doctor said, turning towards Griffin. He reluctantly nodded and trudged out of the room. He sat next to his mom in the waiting room and picked his fingernails anxiously. Sarah held her sons hand. 

"She'll be okay hun." Sarah assured. He nodded, still looking down, trying to convince himself. 

*********

After about 20 minutes, Jess came out. Her eyes were red and puffy like she'd been crying but she seemed to have pulled herself together. 

"Griff, go ahead." Jess said. He nodded and nervously walked into the room. Harper smiled at him  lightly. 

"What is it, love?" Griffin asked nervously. 

"So they ran a bunch tests, and lets just say I lit up like a Christmas tree." Harper said trying to hold her smile. Griffin raised a eyebrow. 

"What do you mean?" He asked, downright confused. 

"I have lung cancer, Griffin." Harper said quietly, allowing a tear to fall. He stood there, unable to move, and not sure what to say. 

"Oh." He finally got out, looking down. He knew he shouldn't cry, that it would make Harper more upset than she already was, but he couldn't stop the tears from falling. He walked over and sat on the edge of her hospital bed gripping her hand tightly. A few hours later, they went home after a long chat between Jess and the doctors about treatments and prescriptions. 

***********

Griffin helped her every day and was with her through through every step of the way. He drove her to appointments, helped her take her meds every day, he snuggled with her when she was feeling down or in pain, and he never left her side during a treatment. A few years later, a miracle occurred. Harper went in for testing and she came out of the room with a bright smile on her face. Griffin couldn't help but return the smile and ask her why she was so happy. 

"I did it Griffin, we did it. We beat it." She said, happy tears falling. Griffin stood up and laughing, ran over to Harper and picked her up, spinning her in the air. 

"I'm so proud of you!" He exclaimed happily, gracefully sitting her down. 

"Thank you. For everything, Griffin. I love you, more than anything." Harper said thankfully. 

"I love you too. Till the end of time." Griffin said. They leaned in and kissed lightly. 

Sure, the staff of the hospital were giving them weird looks, but who cares!?