My Griffin

Harper and Griffin had been best friends ever since Griffin had hailed to Sulphur Springs from Chicago almost 3 years ago. They were now in 10th grade and were inseperable. Griffin was the shy, musically talented and very smart kid. He sometimes got bullied for being the "nerd" but he was nice and never retaliated. Harper on the other hand was the artsy, popular girl whom everyone adored. All the younger girls looked up to Harper, all the older girls were jealous of her, and she had friends galore. 

The two had gone through all kinds of shit together. They had seen each other in each other's best and worst times. But Harper used to be just like Griffin, quiet, not many friends, and shy. But now, she was more confident and was a part of the cool crowd. There was still no one she'd rather hang out with than Griffin. But as Harper got older, her confidence grew. Not in a bad way, she was still the kindest girl in school. But her confidence in who she was...... and who she liked. 

At the end of their ninth grade year, Harper and Griffin had started dating but kept it a secret. Only their families knew. And of course Savannah. But Harper was invited to the cool kids table and she always brought Griffin with her. 

One day at lunch Griffin was slouching in his seat, picking at his food, avoiding conversation. Meanwhile Harper was laughing and engaging in conversation. All of a sudden Griffin heard it. 

"I can't believe you like Dani, Emma!" One girl exclaimed. 

"Whatever! Who do you like Harper?" Emma asked. 

"I have a boyfriend." Harper said. Griffin panicked and lifted his head slightly. No one was supposed to know. He nudged her under the table. She glanced over and lightly shrugged. 

"Who!?" The girls asked excitedly in unison. 

"My love, my Griffin." She said with a smile and rested her hand on his. As Griffin attempted to blend in with the chair, Harper nudged him. 

"What?" He asked, pretending he didn't hear. The two girls mouths fell open. 

"You.... are dating Griffin Campbell?" Emma asked. Griffin slouched back down in his seat. 

"Yeah.... you have a problem with that?" Harper asked. 

"Yeah, then I can't date him." The other girl spoke. Griffin sat up. 

"Excuse me?" He said. 

"Sadie, you can't say that!" Emma exclaimed. 

"But did I lie?" Sadie asked. 

Griffin and Harper exchanged a glance. 

"My Griffin." She said lovingly. 

"Don't call me that." He said with a playful glare. She chuckled.