United by Music

(In this, Griffin and Harper are 18 and Griffin is the most popular kid in school and Harper is the shy girl. He has no idea she exists. Or so she thought.) 

He was cute, nice, good at seemingly everything, and the most popular kid at school. Harper liked him a lot but he probably didn't even know she existed. 

Ever since Griffin Campbell arrived from Chicago in 8th grade, every girl practically fell at his feet. Harper never got the courage to talk to him. Until one day she was put into the Performing Arts group at her school. She sat in the back with her friend Savannah. Griffin was at the front of the classroom laughing with a group of boys. Harper didn't realize it, but she must've been staring. 

"You know, you could just talk to him?" Savannah suggested. 

"No way. Griffin's the most popular kid in school. He doesn't even know I exist!" Harper said, slouching in her seat. 

"Yeah, and he never will unless you TALK to him." Savannah suggested. 

"Easy for you to say. You're dating his best friend." Harper grouched. 

"Fine. I'll introduce you then!" Savannah exclaimed, dragging Harper towards the front of the room. 

"Hey babe!" Savannah exclaimed walking over to Griffin's friend Ben and kissing him on the cheek. "Hey Griffin." 

"Hey babe." Ben said wrapping his arm around Savannah. 

"Hey Sav." Griffin said nonchalantly. 

"Anyways babe, you said you wanted to meet my best friend. This is Harper." Savannah said to the boys. 

"Hi." Harper said quietly. 

"Nice to meet you! Any friend of Sav's is my friend too." Ben said with a smile. Harper smiled back. 

Just then, the teacher called for everyone's attention. He then called some people up to the front. It was Griffin, Ben, and Joey. 

"What's going on?" Harper asked. 

"Oh, they're a band." Savannah explained. 

Ben sat at the drums, Joey grabbed his guitar, and Griffin stood in front of a mic and grabbed his guitar. They began. 

Everyone clapped at the end. 

"Who's next?" The teacher asked. 

"You know who's a great singer Mr. Collins? Harper here." Savannah said. Harper looked at her in panic. 

"What are you doing?" Harper asked. 

"Go, sing. Prove yourself." She whispered to Harper. She spoke up. "Beggin' by Maneskin." 

She nodded at Harper. Harper shook her head. 

"You got this." Savannah said before giving her a little shove towards the mic. 

The teacher turned to Griffin and Ben. 

"You boys know this song?" He asked them. 

"Yep." Ben said. 

"Absolutely." Griffin answered. 

 She finished and blushed as everyone started to clap including Griffin. 

"Where'd you learn to sing like that? Wanna replace me? I'm cool with only doing guitar. That was amazing!" He joked about him being replaced. 

"Thanks." Harper said quietly. 

"What other songs do you know?" Griffin asked. 

"I don't know... I think I'm done singing for a while...." Harper muttered. 

"Why? That was great! Please, one more." Griffin begged. 

"Okay... Do you know 'Smells like Teen Spirit' by Nirvana?" Harper asked. 

"Doesn't the world?! Boys, run Smells like!" Griffin instructed. 

"That was amazing! Hey, do you wanna sit with us tomorrow at lunch? I mean, me and the band, and Sav too." Griffin asked. Harper seemed to be at a loss for words. 

"She would love to." Savannah answered. Griffin smiled and walked away. 

............

Today was the day. Harper had finally stepped out of her comfort zone. She was now an official member of the band. They were at Lake Fest, setting up their instruments and speakers, getting ready for the biggest fall event in all of Sulphur Springs. 

Harper was helping Ben set up the drums when Griffin walked up and put his hands over Harper's eyes. 

"Guess who!" Griffin exclaimed. 

"Hey Griff." Harper said with a smile, turning around. 

He leaned down and kissed her. 

"You ready for today?" He asked. 

"Never been more ready." Harper said more determined than ever.