Why Me?

For all of you guys out there that deal with this, I'm so sorry and I hope you guys can find peace eventually. This was requested by a friend of mine who would like to remain anonymous, but you know who you are and I hope you like it! <3 

Harper and Griffin had been having a cute little movie night with their siblings at the Tremont. The two had been dating for a few months now and they already knew that they were meant to be together for the rest of their lives. But poor Griffin had been struggling with his heart problems recently. He didn't know what caused them, but the pain had getting worse and worse and had been progressing quickly. 

Harper was half asleep but was jolted awake after one of the jump scares in the movie they were watching (SCREAM ofc) and glanced around the room, wondering where the hand she held every time she got scared went. She leaned across the couch and whispered in Wyatt's ear. 

"Where's Griff?" Harper asked. He shrugged. 

"I think he went to his room." He replied. Harper nodded and got up off of the couch and pranced up the stairs. She lightly knocked on the door before walking in to the room. She saw him snuggled under the covers, breathing heavily, his back turned to her. 

"You asleep?" Harper asked. 

"No." Griffin answered simply. 

"Its only 8:30, are you already ready for bed?" Harper asked. 

"No." Griffin responded bluntly again. 

"How are you doing?" Harper asked, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Not great." He answered honestly. 

"You in pain?" Harper asked sadly, already knowing the answer. He nodded uncomfortably. Harper calmly walked over and sat on the edge of his bed. He rolled over and faced her. She looked gently into his teary eyes and grabbed his hand. She rubbed delicate circles onto the back of it and smoothed his hair off his forehead. 

"It hurts, Harper." Griffin winced out. 

"I know, love. On a scale of one to ten, how bad is your pain right now?" Harper asked. 

"It doesn't matter." Griffin muttered. 

"What do you mean it doesn't matter? It matters to me. I don't care if its a ten or a one, or whatever, I care about you. I love you. And I want to take your pain away. I wish I could. Can I get you anything?" Harper calmed. He shook his head. 

"I'm sorry I'm being lazy." He complained. Harper scoffed. 

"Babe, you're not lazy. You're exhausted. I know the pain's been getting worse and I'm so sorry you've had to deal with it. You haven't been sleeping well either. You're hurting and I know it upsets you. That's why you have me." Harper smiled. 

"I just feel so guilty." Griffin complained. 

"Why? You have nothing to feel guilty for." Harper wondered aloud. 

"I feel like such a burden to my family. All I do is laze around because of the pain." Griffin sighed. 

"You are not a burden. We're all worried about you, about your heart, but we'll figure it out soon, love, I promise. And you don't laze around, and when you do, you have a good reason. I know you wish it wasn't a part of your life, and hopefully someday it won't be. But for now, on the tough days, I've got your back, lovey." Harper promised. 

*********
Griffin had eventually dozed off in Harper's arms, but about 20 minutes later, he shot upright, whimpering in pain, clutching his chest. 

"Griff?" Harper asked nervously. She sat up with him and wrapped her arm around him, rubbing his back. 

"It hurts, Harper, it hurts, everything hurts!" Griffin cried. 

"I know, sweetie. I've got you, come here." Harper said. She extended her arms and he practically collapsed into them, sobbing in pain, not letting go of his chest. 

"You guys have been up here for a while, is everything okay in here?" Zoey asked. 

"Yeah, Zo, thanks." Harper said with a smile. Zoey noticed her brothers' tears and walked into the room. 

"Do you want mom, bro?" Zoey asked gently. He shook his head weakly. Zoey nodded and lightly patted his shoulder before exiting the room. 

"Why me, Harper?" Griffin cried. 

"I don't know, love, I don't know." Harper sighed. She hated seeing him like this. It was like her own form of chronic pain. 

************

About a half an hour later, the pain was finally beginning to die down a little and they laid on the bed together. Griffin rested his eyes and agreed that he should try and get some sleep. Griffin laid on her chest and Harper played with his sandy blond, messy, hair. 

A few minutes later, Griffin's steady breaths were all Harper focused on as he slept soundly. She smiled, knowing that Griff was finally getting some rest. 

All she wanted, was for her boyfriend to be safe, loved, and out of pain. And she knew for a fact that she would do anything for that boy to take his pain away. She knew that it wasn't physically possible, but mentally? She would do everything she could. 

Harper Dunn would go to the ends of the earth for Griffin Campbell. And vice versa as well. 

 This has been happening to me with my heart (also what I used Griffin's example to be lol). I've been dealing with chronic pain for a few months now, and it really sucks, but you eventually get used to it. If anyone is undergoing the same problems, I'm always here to talk and I understand, so know that you are never alone. Love you guys, and stay golden! 

Love, 

Mads! <3 :) 

WORD COUNT: 953