Chapter One ❤️

Manoban Household 

Manoban Household 

"You do know that you can't hide forever from her, right?" Lisa Manoban, the head surgeon at Seoul General Hospital yells over the loud sound of music coming from her rebellious, teenage daughter's room.

Sighing a little, she looks at the clock mounted against the pale, creamy wall. It reads somewhere around six. Sooner or later, she would have to leave for her night shift and the last thing Lisa wants right now is to leave the home while she's angry at her 14 - year - old. 

Apparently, her Chaeyoung is going through that phase where everything that everyone does irritates her for no reasons. Hating someone because basic necessity and treating someone nicely to what they actually deserve is a strange thing to do.

She wears odd socks, sits on the floor, binge eating whatever food she can find in the kitchen's cupboard and writes songs that Lisa couldn't understand with her old, lame guitar that the surgeon bought for her when she was ten. 

"I'm not hiding from anyone" Chaeyoung yells from her bedroom. "I'm just busy" she defends herself again before Lisa hears a couple of things fall to the floor from the room and shakes her head.

"Is there something wrong with the light in your room? Because I have never seen you turned it on since Summer last year" 

"Everything is fine" 

A shuffle of feet is heard against the floor and a moment later, Lisa's ear perks at the sound of window being opened.

"Fuck, who the hell ate shit inside my room?"

Chaeyoung mumbles but Lisa knows well nobody has been in that shithole except the girl herself. "I think it's the sandwich from last week. I told you about the funny smell a couple of days ago, honey"

"Oh yeah, found it"

Chaeyoung bites her lower lip as she walks out of her dark bedroom. "Can you wash this for me? Yeah, thank you"

"Chaeng" Lisa whines. "I mean it. You have to go. It's just dinner"

"I can't" the girl retorts, frowning. "Mama, you don't understand" she throws her hands in the air. "I'm on the school's team for taekwondo and I can't keep missing my training for unimportant stuff"

"I can say it's pretty important if Lili is there"

Lisa points out. But Chaeyoung puffs her cheeks. "Lilibear doesn't have a mind of her own. She goes wherever she is needed" the kid chides her big sister before walking past the head surgeon towards the fridge. 

"Shouldn't you be the same?"

Lisa wonders. But the kid immediately shakes her head.

"Of course not" the kid scowls. "Mama, I'm smart. I've things to do and I would literally say no to things that don't excite me"