Chapter 54: Ring of Fire

Michael's POV

"So have you asked her yet?"

I looked at my little sister with confusion filling my face. We were walking from the stables by our house after feeding the animals, and was about to go find a movie to watch. That question had came completely out of the blue. "Ask who what?"

"Liyah. Did you ask her?" she said.

I stared at her, completely clueless. She wasn't being very specific at all. "Dunk, I don't know what you're talking about."

She sighed shaking her head. "Mike, sometimes you can be very slow."

"How can you expect me to know what you're talkin 'bout when you are not tellin me anything?"

"Because, Mike, you should already know what I'm talking about." She said as she stopped at the sidewalk. " We talked about it last week."

It was then that it hit me what she was talking about. " Oh...that! No, I haven't."

Her face fell immediately. "Mike! What are you waiting on?!"

"She's not ready!"

"She's not ready?!" she retorted then let out a loud snort. " Hmph! Whatever! I think she's just scared."

"Oh, so I'm not the only one...." I said mostly to myself.

"Do she you even know you got it?"

I shook my head as I shoved my hands in my pocket. "No."

"So you bought it what, two or three months ago and she still don't know you got it?"

I shook my head.

"Why not, Mike?"

I rolled my eyes and sighed before speaking: " She say that she wants to wait until she is 'Well in her twenties" She's about to turn twenty- one soon, and I'm gonna be twenty-five. Honestly, I think she's just using that as an excuse. I feel like a part of her is just holdin back, you know?" I brushed some of the curls from my forehead. "I wanna do this right. I've already broke enough rules as it is. When she see that ring, I'll be right in front of her on one knee proposing."

"Well, why don't you just do that?'

"I want to know for a fact that she will say yes." I explained.

We started walking again, this time, in silence. She was thinking. I could tell by the look on her chubby face that she was. Then she looked up at me with a somewhat humours look on her face. " I'm pretty sure once she see that diamond she will say yes."

I chuckled and shook my head from side to side. " Liyah, doesn't care about that stuff. " I said. " She's not materialistic."

" Yeah, I've noticed." She agreed.

Not to long ago, maybe about two and a half months ago I had gone to Tiffany's with my mother, La Toya, and Janet. They had closed down the whole mall just for us. We were searching for a gift for my grandmother for mother to bring back to her when she visited her that following weekend. They couldn't decide on anything so I went off to look at other things. Not exactly thinking that I would find something that would catch my eye, I was just trying to get away from all the bickering.

I found my self looking at rows of engagement rings and wedding bands-they were way on the other side if the store and I could hear their bickering becoming a him in a distance while I was staring at them. None of them would have been something Liyah would wear, they all had gold bands and she didn't wear gold - only silver, but I kept looking until on the very far end I saw one that caught my eye.