Chapter 15 (Part 1)

De's POV

" You look gorgeous, De." Danny said as he pushed my hair over to the side. " Put own the warm red lipstick."he demanded.

"Oh," I smiled as I picked it up. " I don't usually wear lipstick."

"Well, you're gonna start today. I know what looks good on you and what doesn't. You just have to follow."

I sighed and looked in the mirror. Trying to picture red on my full lips. "Okay..."

"I'm going to go check on Liyah." he said as he rolled his eyes. Then walked away.

Wait, what did he just call her? I thought as my eyebrows pulled together with confusion. I let it go and began applying the lipstick on like he told me to.

"Hey," I heard someone say. I turned to see Wayne standing next to me with his arms crossed across his chest.

"Hey, what's up?"

"You're...Denise, right?"

I looked away and smiled. " I go by De."

"De," he nodded his head as a smile came across his face." I like that. "

"Thank you," I placed the lipstick down and began examining myself with it on- he was right, it did look right on me. I turned back to him and smiled. "We all go by nicknames." I added, matter of fact.

"Really, what are they?" he asked.

I went around the room, telling of their nicknames. "And I'm De, like I said." I concluded as I continued to smile.

He was still smiling at me. "Well, De I'm Wayne." he extended his hand out to me.

I raised my eyebrow and shook his head. " Nice to meet you Wayne. And if this is your way of flirting with a girl, you ain't all that good at it."

He became tickled. " Yeah, I guess I am."

"Uh-huh."

"No, but I've only been in here for an hour and you're the one I can't seem to keep my eyes off of."

I smiled down at the floor. " Really?"

"Yeah, you're very beautiful."

I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously. "You're not just saying that because I just got a make over, are you?"

"Nah, you might just be the most prettiest girl I've seen in years."

I placed my hand on my hip."In years?" I asked, trying not to sound offended.

"Yeah, my mother is beautiful to me too."

"Oh," I started laughing. " well what can I say?" I began playing with my new curls.

I had a crooked smile plastered on his face that took my breath away. " Say you'll go out with me. "

I gave him a shy laugh. " As much as I'd love to say yes, no."

His face was ashen. " Why not?"

"Because I like to get to know my men before I date them." I told him. " I mean, I don't know you, you don't know me. I could be a lesbian, a possessive bitch, or worse...." I paused for dramatic effect. " A serial killer."

He laughed at me. "You don't look like a serial killer."

"Never judge a book by its cover, right?"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. How about this: We can start with a phone number and work our way up. "

I glanced around the room as I thought about it. " Okay," I said eagerly as I pulled the pen out if his shirt pocket. I took his arm and wrote down the number to our new apartment. " There you go. Since we'll be working together I don't think we will be talking on the that often." I said as I gave him a cheeky smile.