Chapter 89: Threatening Chance

"I don't understand. How did you not feel the heat?" I whispered softly to him while staring at the bandages on his head. " I mean..."

"I-I thought...it was the lights..." He managed to say.

My face became grave and confused. " Michael, the lights shouldn't be-"

"Liyah..." He said in a breathless whisper. I looked at him, seeing that he was in pain. I watched as he winced, shifting uncomfortably on the bed.

I gave him an apologetic look, and in return he gave me a soft smile to assure me he was okay. But looking at it the bandages told me he wasn't okay, and that had tears forming in my eyes.

I looked up at Dr. Hoefflin who stood across the room looking at a clip board. " How bad is it?" I asked him, I stood up and wrapped my sweater around my body while I walked up to him.

His green eyes met mine, his thick black eyebrows began to frown causing wrinkles to form on his middle aged face. " He's lucky to be alive." He answered. Watching my expression carefully. "It's a miracle that he's alive, actually. It almost went through his scalp giving him second and third degree burns."Those were the worst burns you could ever have. Ironically, Michael and I had visited burn patients New Years day that year in that same hospital and most of them had third degree burns.

"We need to reconstruct his head through surgery, but I want to wait until it heals."He continued.  "We want to keep him here for a couple of days for further examination."

"Will his hair grow back?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Most of it will grow back." He assured me. "Once it heals completely."

I glanced over at Michael who just happened to be staring at the both of us. He was trying to hide it, but I could tell that the pain was becoming unbearable for him and I hated seeing him like that. I was already overwhelmed with so much emotion at one time and see I him that way wasn't making it any better. " How long is he supposed to be in pain?"

"We tried offering him medicine, but he won't take it." He informed me.

"He won't take it?" I retorted, glancing back at him. "Is it a narcotic?"

He only nodded his head.

"He doesn't take narcotics." I think it had something to do with his beliefs. I wasn't exactly sure. "Do you have anything else he could take?" I asked, doubting that he did.

"Not anything that could help the pain that he's in." Dr. Hoefflin said. "It's either that or nothing at all."

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. " Baby?" I began walking over to his bed where he laid, covered by yellow and white hospital blankets. He looked up at me, his expression was unreadable. " Michael you need to take something." I told him, grabbing his hand. "The pain won't stop unless you do."

His eyes were hesitant.

"Michael..." My head dropped and began to sigh again. I was tired, and all the tension was beginning to grow on me.

I felt him touching my face; caressing the sides of cheeks. "Fine." He said.

I looked up at him, raising my eyebrow, but decided to ask no questions as I stood up and began to walk towards the door.

"Wait..." I heard him say. "Where are you going? I don't want you to leave me."

I walked over and kissed him in his forehead, leaving my lips there to breathe in his scent. "I'm coming back." I smiled a reassuring smile. " I just have to go talk to someone really quick."