Chapter 4: I Will Be

"What?" De asked

"I'm gone do what now?!" I asked shockingly at the same time.

He looked down at me and gave me a smile," Sing lead."

I shook my head at him. "Uh, no I'm not."

He sighed and leaned on the piano." I know this is something new, but its all in a matter of business."

"Business? I never fully agreed to do this."

"I know but you will just have to trust me on this, Aj."

"Trust isn't exactly a thing on my agenda." I mumbled as I shifted myself on the piano bench.

He shook his head and glanced up at the rest of the girls. " I know how the music industry works okay, and I know what they want."

"Is there something wrong with my voice?" De asked. I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I couldn't even imagine how she felt at that moment. I felt as if she was going to hate me for the rest of life for this.

"No, no." He sighed as he searched for the right thing to say. " You have a wonderful voice, believe me, but if you want to get this deal and you want to keep it, you will need something new, something.....different."

" What does that have to with me singing lead?" I asked.

"De, your voice is too.....eh.....average, it sounds like other stars in the past and you won't get anywhere with it. Now I have huge plans for you girls but I have to make sure that you guys come out with a boom on your debut album. Aj is going to get us there."

" What?"My words came out in a harsh whisper as I shook my head in disbelief. I looked him as if he was crazy. How could I possibly get them to them to where they need to go? There was nothing special about my voice. De was the one who sung her heart out and made people fall out their chairs.

"I know it's not what you're used to but, it's the only way."

I heard Leena's bitter laugh from behind me. "Wait, wait, wait. What you're telling us is that De's voice us too ordinary and that you need a new sound to get us where we need to be with our careers, and that the only way to do that is if you make Depression Gretchen over here be lead singer? " Leena snorted. " Yeah, we'll see how that goes."

I wanted to punch the weave strait out of her head. I turned in the piano bench to face her. " Shut up, Lee." I said through my teeth.

She rolled her eyes and walked across the room and stood next to Michael, crossing her across her chest as she began mouthing words to herself.

"Aj?" De whispered softly in my ear." Can I talk to you for a minute?"

I let out a long sigh and stood up from the piano. I gave Quincy a cold hard stare; telling him that I hated him for the decision he was making.

As I followed her out the door I fixed my mouth up to say what I was thinking at the moment. I couldn't have her think I was unintentionally stealing her dream from her. That was the last thing I wanted to do. I still wasn't exactly sure if I wanted to do this. Quincy just didn't realize what he was asking me. He wanted me to come out of my comfort zone and sing? He wanted me to be the star, like Michael was when he was with his brothers. I could not handle that kind of pressure.

She waited until she was as far away from the recording room as possible before turning to me.

"De, I-"

She held her hand up, stopping me from saying anything more." I already know what you're going to say, and I'm not mad at you."

I felt my eyebrows knit together with confusion." You're not?"