Chapter 32: Silenced Voices

"Another song with no harmony, no lyrics, no beat, no voice. A child that was born without a voice to be heard. A woman with silenced feelings, closed in, locked away. Trying to hide from the one she loves. Another song written. Another voice left unheard. Where's the vibration of a wind pipe? Where's the voice of the wind? Is it all in silence?"

-Kay Monét

_____________

Things have been stressful.

I would like to blame it on going to work too soon, but that's not it. Whether I would've started worked now or ten years from now things would still be stressful. Because of me going to rehab Promise now have to do a comeback to prove to the company that we aren't a threat to their business, and prove to the world that we weren't just another girl group. Many people, including the fans have wondered one thing these past couple of years: Why did Liyah have to go to rehab all of a sudden?

That major question had two that followed: Did Liyah have some kind of drug or alcohol addiction, and did she have some kind of mental problem?  Blah, blah, blah! Both were ridiculous questions I had to come home to. Literally, the first thing I saw on television was a news reporter talking about me and how I was being released that day. It was crazy how they knew these things. I could only help but wonder who let them in on it, because it was supposed to be discreet.

A lot of people have taken what has been written about us to reach the conclusion that I did have a drug addiction and that was why I had to go to rehab. I'll admit, that did sound believable. But of course it wasn't true. I knew that as soon as this album came out and an interview is set I would be asked about it. I wasn't exactly sure if I was ready to talk about why I had to go. I knew that if I had to talk about I would have to start from the beginning. From where it all started. I don't think I was ready to go there.

It's been two years and all that nonsense had faded away. They began focusing on other things that was more up to date. I didn't know whether or not I was strong enough to deal with the pressure of the press, but I knew that I didn't have a choice but to face up to it. I didn't have a choice. Once Epic approved of our second album...injure I would eventually have to face up to it. I knew I couldn't hide forever.

I was sitting in the booth at the recording studio waiting for Quincy to give me the cue to start. I couldn't see him, there were no windows and the whole room was pitch black and I wore really dark shades over my eyes. It was the only way I felt comfortable recording. The girls had already left with Bobby to take care some business leaving me there to work on the verses. I was mindlessly tapping my foot as my patience was wearing. I began humming loudly into the mic signalling that I was tired of waiting.

"Okay, Liyah!" he said, answering my annoying hums. " One moment."

I sucked my teeth rolling my eyes. What is he out there doing? He always seem to hate it when we wasted time in the studio   but right now he was the one wasting all the time. I could've been halfway through the song by now. Or at least the main parts anyway. "You know, Quincy," I said into the mic." my butt and wooden stools don't go well together. "