Chapter 102: The Pretender

Michael's POV

"I'm surprised at her...cooperation," David said later that night. He leaned his body against the railing of the balcony. Glancing out towards the silent ocean. He shook his head from side to side and chuckled softly. " That's not like her."

"David, you've only known her for almost a year," John said, from the chair. The night was dark and I could hardly see his face.

"I know, but it doesn't take a day to know that she's very uncooperative." He lifted himself up and stuck his cigarette in his mouth as his eyes met mine. " Why do you think she took it so well tonight?"

I looked into the house through the patio door shrugged my shoulders. " Just be glad she's actually willing to go through with this. It's rare that that ever happens."

"Yeah, Dave take it from someone who's known her for years." John laughed.

"It shouldn't matter now," Frank said after listening to our conversation since we had stepped out on the balcony. "What matters is..." He took a moment to light what was left of his cigar, " that she finally said something about that ass hole. After all these years. She finally said something."

He had a point. When he said he wanted to speak with her about the situation, I swore up and down that she wouldn't cooperate with him. I've known Liyah for years, and I know how she thinks. I knew exactly what would probably go through her mind. She didn't like discussing her life with strangers. She didn't like discussing her life at all. Period. Even if it would benefit her in some way, she still would not speak about it. That was just how stubborn she was. So, yes, I was very shocked when she agreed to allow them to record her telling stories about encounters that she had with Melvin. Not only that, but she answered each question with out any hesitation. With out any stalling. She just stood in the middle of the kitchen and started dinner while she answered each question. Told each story. Like it was nothing.

The whole time, I sat there, just waiting for her to tell them that a question was too personal to be answered. To tell them that they had asked enough questions, but that had never happened. I convinced myself that she was just pretending to not be effected by them. I knew that she was beginning to perfect the role of the Pretender.

"I think she's finally realizing that she can't run from her past for the rest of her life." I suggested, mindlessly.

"Or maybe she's just afraid that that maniac would get close to your daughter." Frank said casually.

I felt my eyebrows frown with confusion as I slowly glanced in his direction. The only thing I could see was the end of his lit cigar. "What do you mean, Frank?"

"Michael, I have only known her for a few months. But it doesn't take a few months to know that you're wife is like an open book when it comes to her facial expressions. She was very uncomfortable talking about this-I could tell- anytime a question go to hard for her, she would look at Ari for support." He stood to his feet and walked towards the middle of the balcony. " She's probably having second thoughts now."

"It's...too late for...second thoughts," Dave said uneasily. " Is it not? "

Frank seemed to be too deep in thought to answer the question. He slowly shook his large head from side to side, letting out a long sigh in the process. " Yeah, it is too late. Her stories have already been recorded, and there ain't no way I'm not taking it to the others who's involved in this investigation. "

"Do you think she'll have any regrets about it?" Dave wondered. He seemed to be asking all the questions I was thinking.

The question caused Frank and John to snicker softly. " No," they said at same time.