Chapter 18: A Flower For The Rain

Michael picked me up from the studio Monday night and took me to Jermaine's beach house. Jermaine was out of town with his wife and kids so we had the whole place to ourselves, which was something I wanted simply because at that point I didn't want to be around anyone but him. I couldn't bear to be around the girls, especially Leena who has been practically bouncing off the walls all weekend. Everyone questioned her as to why she was happy all the time; what pissed me off was that I knew why - she slept with Wayne. De had not the slightest clue, at all. She got so drunk that night that she didn't even remember what happened. I was the only one who knew as far as I knew. Another thing that pissed me off was the fact that Leena slept with her best friend's boyfriend, I mean, if she wanted to be a slut then fine, that's her. But she should at least have limits. That right there is a total red zone, we don't do that to each other.

I suppose I should've seen it coming, though. This wasn't the first time she had done this. She had slept with Te numerous of times and De doesn't even know about that - but of course, I do. This was burning me inside. De wouldn't expect Leena to do such a thing, simply because we had all made a vow that we would never deceive each other right when we put the group together. We promised each other. I guess that meant absolutely nothing to Leena. Then again, when does anything ever mean anything to her? She lies, she cheats, she betrays all who stands in her way. She manipulates to get what she wants. That was my sister. She probably had her fingers crossed when we made that vow to each other.

There was another vow we all made to each other - that we would always tell each other everything. That burns like an iron in the back of mind. That meant that I, because of what I saw, had to be the one to tell De that the man that she thought she loved slept with one of her friends, in the back of the car. That wasn't exactly the easiest topic to get on. I mean how could possibly just go up to her and say 'Hey, girl, guess what? I saw Leena and Wayne having sex together in the +back of his car! So, you want to hear that new song I wrote?' She'll probably rip my throat out.

I didn't know what to do. I regretted ever going to investigate that noise I was hearing.

Michael was telling me something but I wasn't listening to him. I tried, but my brain always lost focus of his mellifluous voice. It became a vacant hum in the background. I was staring at the designs on the wallpaper while playing with my nails. Mentally tracing the outline of the patterns in my head. I couldn't get it off my mind. Why was Leena such a-

"Aaliyah!"

I jumped a little as I stared at him, startled. He was smiling so hard at me, pleased that he had frightened me.

"Are you listening?"

"Yes," I lied.

"Yeah, right." He said doubtfully. " What did I just say?" He challenged.

I looked away," Uh."

"That's what I thought." He said as he sat down next to me and took my hand in his." What are you thinking about, Li?"

I shook my head, not wanting to tell him.

"Liyah...tell me."

"It's not important," I said.

"I can tell it's bothering you."

I only stared at him with no particular expression on my face.

"Do I need to tickle you?" He asked as he held his hands out as if he had claws. He moved them towards my stomach, about to charge for it.

I held my hand over him, trying to attempt to keep him doing it. "Don't you dare!" I warned.

"Well tell me! If you don't tell me I will tickle you until it comes out."