Chapter 31: Ropes

Work was the only thing that existed on Quincy and his daughter, Kidada, minds as they entered the office of Walter Yetnikoff at CBS.

As they sat down after greeting each other with hand shakes and hugs Walter sat in his huge big leather chair twirling a pencil with his large hands. "So what did you call this meeting for?" he asked Quincy out of curiosity.

Quincy placed his leg over his other leg and leaned forward in his chair. "It's about the two projects I'm working with."

Walter smiled. "Ah, Michael and the girls. I'm looking forward to this, but uh....Michael called and said he wasn't submitting the album."

Quincy shook his head. "He was just upset with me and Ron. He was back in the studio the other day. "

"That's because I convinced him to keep working." He answered. " You and Ron should be more positive about this "

"We are, we just think he's biting off too much he can chew."He explained. " He wants to sell more than two million. Everyone knows that's impossible."

Walter shook his head as he placed the pencil down on his desk. He ran his fingers through his graying hair before speaking. " It's not impossible. People just don't have the drive that they need to sell more than two million. After talking to him, I see that he has the determination and the confidence that is needed to sale more than that ."

"You don't understand," Quincy said. " Michael is very sensitive, if he put all his eggs into one basket and the album doesn't break the two million it will crush him. He may not ever go back to work. "

"But if the album does...it'll push him to do even better on the next." Walter laid back in the chair. " I trust him on this. I think it will do well. Which means I'm going to need you to put faith into this. I have a good feeling about it."

A sigh escaped his lips. "Okay..."He tried to fight away his doubt. Thinking of how dramatic Michael could be. He really knew how to make a scene when things didn't turn out the way he wanted them to.

"So how are the girls coming along?" He took a sip of his coffee.

Quincy dropped his leg and crossed the other one over that one. " They are coming along fine, actually. " He said, glad he could change the subject.

"And will that album be out by next year."

"If things go on as planned." he nodded. "Yeah, it will be."

"Do you have some concern about the project you're working on or something." Walter asked after remembering why they was there. He glanced at his daughter and wondered what was the reasoning for her presence.

"Well, besides the issue with Michael, no." Quincy began. " But I do have an idea."

Walter's eyebrow raised. " What exactly is your idea?"

"Walter, what were the two biggest albums sold in seventy nine and eighty?"

Walters eyebrows frowned as he thought " Off the wall and Servant?"

"Yes," Quincy smiled. " and who are the two most talked about celebrities in the media?"

"Michael and Liyah."

" Exactly. You see where I'm getting at?"

"No, I can't say that I do."

"I think we should put them two together to do a duet."

At the moment Kidada's eyes widened. " Dad, are you crazy?!"

"What?"

"Dad, do you hear what you sayin' ?" she asked.

Quincy turned to his daughter. " What's wrong with that?"

Kidada stared her father."Dad, you just can't put Liyah and Michael in a recording studio together knowing that they used to be together! You're askin' for something to blow up in your face!"

" What happened between them happened years ago, it shouldn't be that big of a deal."

"Why did they break up?" Walter asked.

Kidada shook her head."Its too complicated to explain."

"No one really knows the real reason..." Quincy added. "They are really private people."

" So what do I have to do with anything?" Walter asked.

"We need you to approve of it so that they can do it. If the company has already paid for it they won't have a choice but to do it "

"What good would a duet do?"

"It can help promote their albums. People are beginning to think that Promise was just good for one album, and it may help Michael break that two million."

Kidada gave her father a look. " Why do I have a feeling that promoting albums isn't the reason why you're doing this?" She knew Michael didn't need any promotion help, and neither did the girls.

"What do you mean, Kidada?"

"They don't need promotion help!" She said. "And even if they did, Liyah would never go with this, you know how uncooperative she is!"

"That's why--"

"You know what," Walter said. "You may be right. It probably will put them up there."Walter said mostly to himself. "You know what? That is a good idea."

"You're kidding, right?" Kidada asked as her face fell.

"No," He shook his head. "It will be great for the company too. I don't want them to just do one, I want them to do two"

"Oh, hell nah. " Kidada started laughing. " No, man you can probably get Michael to do it, but Liyah? You might have to lock her in the studio and strap her down to the stool just to get her to do one song! I don't know how you're gonna get her to do one, let alone two."

Quincy smiled. " Well I guess we're gonna have to get some ropes because she doesn't have a choice."