Chapter 98: Expressionless

The pain was barely bearable. I thought I was going to die. Each contraction I had came stronger than the other, and the pain I felt on my pelvic and my lower back was all too much for me to handle. Dr. Kline had told me that it would be harder for me not only because it was my first child, but also because I was so small. I was surprised that I had actually gotten through it. Despite my fears. I did it! I did something that I never even thought I would do growing up.

I brought another life into this world.

I was exhausted, but seeing everything from where I was laying kept that feeling far from my thoughts. I could see the the nurses, Sarah and Jennifer showing Michael what to do as they wrapped her up in blankets. Her crying had ceased a bit, she was only whining a bit as she sucked on her little finger. Michael picked her up in his arms and smiled down at her. He looked so proud as he admired her. It was like watching him fall in love right before my eyes. Almost like love at first sight.

I still had not gotten a good glimpse of her yet. The only vision I had was when she first came out, and Dr. Carnie held her up to the light. I remember seeing her hair and thinking how thick it was, and seeing her legs kick out as Michael cut the the umbilical cord. Now that she was cleaned and wrapped completely in blankets my patience was wearing, like it had been doing the whole day. It had been a thirteen hour labor. Since my water had broken earlier that noon all I could think about was that I was going to meet her. Finally, after dreaming about her, and imagining her, I was finally gonna meet her.

 Finally, after dreaming about her, and imagining her, I was finally gonna meet her

"Michael," I said. He turned-still looking down at her-and walked over to me, cradling her in his arms.

"Here she is," he whispered as held her out for me to hold

I gasped as I placed her in my arms. She was beautiful. Her face was round and soft, her cheeks were as red as roses. She had a funny shaped. Mother had told me that all her kids were born with funny shaped heads, including Michael. Her head was covered with thick black hair. Her eyes were big like Michael's, and were chestnut-honey color that reminded me of my Mother's, Liana's and my grandmothers. I was speechless. There were no words that I could find that could possibly describe how I felt at that moment. The more I stared at her, the more emotional I was becoming. Tears were beginning to well up in my eyes as she stared back at me, still sucking on her little finger. " What's her name?" I heard someone ask.