Chapter 21: Conditions

"Ali?" There were two soft knocks on my bedroom door. I look up from my journal turned towards the door where I saw Sasha and Liana was standing in my doorway. "Can we talk to you about something?" Liana asked.

I felt my eyebrow raise." It depends on what you want to talk to me about."

They stepped in closing the door behind them. "Liana told me everything." Sasha said as she crossed her arms across her chest.

I glanced at Liana who was giving me an apologetic look. What had she told her? "What are you talking about?"

"You and Michael."

My facial expression didn't change because I knew she would be waiting for every reaction out of me. I knew how Sasha was, she watched for anything that is a sign of guilt. Then she uses it against you.  Leena never figured that part out about her and she had gotten in trouble by her more than I have. "What about us?"

"Aaliyah," she began as she walked over to De's bed and sat on it. " I am not going to sit here and pretend like I approve of this relationship, because I don't."

"Sasha, this is not how you go about this situation." Liana whispered.

situation?

"No disrespect, Sasha," I said, as I turned to her. "but I honestly couldn't care less about what you think of our relationship. Because, first of all, you don't know anything about it. And secondly, even if you did there is nothing that you could say...or do that will take him away from me."

She let out a long sigh. "Aaliyah, you're sixteen."

I sucked my teeth and rolled my eyes towards the ceiling."Is that the only thing you people care about around here? A four year age difference? I mean, really? You're acting like he's thirty years old or something!"

"He may as well be. Look, the only reason why I don't approve of this is because I know how religious his mother is, if something were to happen-"

" I've met her mother and she seems to be okay with our relationship. You're the one who is making a big deal out of a four year age difference."

"Aaliyah, she may be okay with it, but society is not...you have to realize where I'm coming from with this!"

"Where exactly are you coming from? What, he's twenty, I'm sixteen. He could be charged with rape if we ever became sexually active? The only way that would happen is if you charge him for it, and if you charge him with I swear, as Jesus Christ as my witness, I will hate you more than I hate my own mother, and that is a promise."

She was giving me a look of several emotions: anger, surprise, offense. Her short eyebrows knitting together, her full lips frowning to point where wrinkles was beginning to form around her lips. I kept my poker face on. I wasn't about to let her break me.

"Aaliyah..."

"Sasha, I love you, and I've never gave you any reason to doubt me, but..." I sighed softly." I love him, he makes me happy. And If you take him away from me, you are basically taking away my will to live. You are taking away the only thing that makes me happy. Now what kind of aunt would you be if you do something so cruel. After all that I have been through?"

She shook her head." I don't want you to think that you need a man to be happy."

"But, I will be unhappy without him. There's a difference between feeding off of men for pleasure and having a man come in your life and show you what feels like to be happy." I said softly." Besides, I'm not the one you should be worried about."

"If you're talking about Leena, she's already been dealt with."

I leaned back in my chair, raising my eyebrow." Are you sure about that?" My voice was challenging as my lips began to purse.

" What do you mean by that?" She asked suspiciously.

I snickered. "Nothing, I don't want to be made the enemy here. If you want to know, go talk to her."

" I've already spoken with her. It's a you that I'm worried about?"

" You shouldn't worry about me." I said as I shook my head.

" Yes I should, because after what I saw in the living room today, it tells me I should've sent you to speak to someone a long time ago."

Disgust filled my face." What are you talking about?"

" Those cuts, how long have you been doing that?"

My eyes fell on my arm as I thought about an appropriate answer to give. " Uh...a while."

"What's a while?"

I glanced towards the door and ran my fingers through my hair." Since I was eleven."

"Oh God...." Liana breathed as she she shook her head.

"Aaliyah, why....why didn't you tell any one?"

"That's not exactly something you tell people, Sasha."

She gave me a look that said 'why?'

" People judge those who self harm. Say that they just want attention or that they're just being a little brat and all their problems aren't that bad. Plus, when you really love someone you don't want them to be....disappointed so you keep it hidden." I explained." Besides, I'm surprised you didn't suspect anything, being that you're a nurse and Liana did study psychology. I mean all the signs your there."

"Don't you sit there and try make us feel guilty-"

"I'm not trying to make you feel guilty. I'm just telling the truth."

"She's right, Sasha."Liana whispered.

She looked up at her. "Whose side are you on?" She asked.

" I'm not on any bodies side I'm just stating the facts, we should've known. We just assumed that that was just how she was."

"I did suspect something...I just...I don't know...I just didn't...I don't know." she shook her head as if she was shamed.

I sighed, all this emotion was becoming too much for me to handle." If it makes you feel any better I've stopped, and Michael is the reason why I have."

"Aaliy-"

"No, I stopped because of him," I interrupted. "And if you stop me from seeing him, I will most likely start again." I caught glimpse of the fear that lingered in her eyes. "No, I will start again. I need him and I'll kill myself if I don't have him."

She and Sasha exchanged horrified glances and I smirked a little knowing I had got her attention. "Okay, Aaliyah," she warily said after a moment of silence." You can keep on seeing him only one condition." she said as she held up her finger

My head turned slightly to the side as my eyebrow began to raise." And what is that exactly?"

"You can continue to see him only if you agree to go to rehab."