Chapter 6: Let Me Go

"Sasha!" I burst through the house and literally pulled her off the couch. " You have to help her!"

"Aaliyah, what's going on?" She asked. " Is that blood on you?" Her was filled with so much horror.

Ignored the fact that she called me by my real name, which I hated. I just continued pulled her out of the house and unto the porch where De was laying. "She won't stop bleeding! We need to get her an ambulance."

She ran over to her in an instant. " Go get my nursing bag, Liana go call the police station, tell them its an emergency. "

I ran in the house and grabbed her nursing bag from her room. When I ran back Liana was helping De onto the porch swing and was laying her head in her lap. Sasha took her a bottle out of her bag along with a white towel and began pouring the substance on the towel." What happened, Aaliyah?" she asked me. " And where are her clothes. You didn't get into no fight, did you?"

"No, ma'am. I had went over to her house because I needed to talk to her about something and she wasn't there. Her momma said she was at the store so I began walking home and I saw this big black van speeding down the street and it stopped in the middle of the road. It looked kind of suspicious so I watched it. When it took off again she jumped out of the van and took off running. I found her lying in an alley."

She turned to me, her eyes blazing."Why didn't you get the license plate's number?!"

"Because it didn't have one, on either side. "

She sighed. " How long are they gonna be?" She asked Liana.

"They said about twenty minutes."

"Denise, can you hear me? Do you know who this is?"

De didn't say anything, she just laid there on Liana's lap. with her eyes slightly closed.

Seeing her in this state reminded me of when I was younger and my mom came home beat up just as bad as De was at the moment. The cuts that were all over her body, going in so many directions that it made my head spin. The bruises, the blood, the smell. Everything. It reminded of that night and I didn't like being reminded of it neither.

I was getting flash backs of it. The rain, the way the droplets mixed with her blood, the way it fell on to the carpet And the way the carpet soaked it up. We could never get that stain up from that carpet.

I turned my head away from the sight that I was seeing and faced the street in time enough to see the police officers and ambulance drive up. The red and blue lights didn't make anything better. They reminded me of the last night I had seen my mom. That was the night she was arrested.

I stirred my thoughts back to De and began thinking about what anyone else would during this situation. How could this have happened. What could she have been doing for this happen. Who were the assholes who did this to her. I thought back to the last conversation we had. She said that she wanted me sing for the group so that she could get out of Harlem. I thought that she was just tired of being there, that she wanted more for herself. I was stupid enough not to read between the lines. She didn't want to leave Harlem because of that, she wanted to leave Harlem because she was scared for life.

Guilt rushed over me then because I began to feel bad for actually considering backing out on her. This is something that she probably actually afraid of.

Police officers and paramedics came rushing on my porch. Sasha told them what I had told her and told them who her mother was and where she lived. As there were more questions asked by them, I saw my friends walking down the street. They stopped short when they saw De being carried into the ambulance. Nikki, being the sensitive person she was started crying right then and there." Oh my God, what happened?!" Jojo screamed as they came running on to our lawn.