Chapter 26: Promise Ring

"Our next guest is a new female R&B group with two hit singles that has reached the top of the charts. " We were standing back stage at the Merv Griffin Show. Waiting to go on for our very first televised performance since we had made it.

I was shaking so badly my nerves was something I always had problems with while performing because I was so shy. I slowly calming myself down by taking huge breaths. I really wanted to just crawl into a corner and die.

"Please welcome, Promise!"

We all walked out to a crowd with lights shining upon us. I sat down on a stool with Jojo on my left and De on my right. Leena sat on the one at very end by De and Nikki sat on the one next to Jojo. The music began playing instantly and Jojo started the first verse off:

" I'm trying not to pretend, It won't happen again and again like that. I never thought it would end, 'cause you got up in my head, in my head like that. And made me happy, baby, love is crazy. So amazing, but it's changing, re-arranging,

"I don't think I can take anymore...."

By the time we were in the chorus the crowd was already clapping along to the beat. " 'Cause the walls burned up and our love fell down, and it turned into whatever, now we're saying never. Feel the fire 'cause it's all around, and it's burning for forever and always. You gotta let it go and be on our way and live for another day, 'cause it ain't the same, my baby. Watch it all fall into the ground."

"No happy ever after, just disaster. "

De began the second verse with all the soul that came so naturally to her. "I didn't want it this way, I only wanted to say I loved you right. But now you're walking away, And leaving me here to stay, So foolish of me to wait for you to realize All the things I gave you, made you,

"Changed you, your dreams came true when I met you, now forget you, Don't want you anymore."

Looking out towards the crowd I could see that everyone was enjoying us just by the smile that was on their faces. The energy they gave us. It made all the butterflies go away when it was time for me to start the third verse. "You shot the bullet, you shot the bullet that killed me, not feeling my heart beat, and now I was dying. I am through it, I-I am through all the agony, and now my eyes are drying, trying, No more crying lyin' s just a game. So disaster strikes, And I'm alright

'cause my love's on his way... yeah Burning up forever and always... yeah .......

The girls came in on the chorus just in time for me to sing the lead vocals. " 'Cause the walls burned up, and our love fell down, And it turned into whatever, now we're saying never. Feel the fire 'cause it's all around, And it's burning for forever and always. You gotta let it go and be on our way And live for another day, 'Cause it ain't the same, my baby. Watch it all fall into the ground No happy ever after ‒ just disaster. " I began singing my oohs in my full falsetto tone with that the crowd began clapping and cheering.

" 'Cause the walls burned up, and our love fell down, And it turned into whatever, now we're saying never. Feel the fire 'cause it's all around, And it's burning for forever and always. You gotta let it go be on our way and live for another day, 'Cause it ain't the same, my baby. Watch it all fall into the ground. No happy ever after ‒ just disaster, just disaster (woah )"

"Burning up for forever and always..." They sung.

"oh woaheyy.. yeah." I gave a soft smile towards the audience. They all stood up and began clapping as we made our way to Merv.

"Wow!" He exclaimed." Everyone give them a hand!!!"

They all began clapping harder. I slowly moved towards De to hide how hard I was blushing. "We are going to have a talk with the girls when we get back." Music began to play as the directors began signalling the break.