Chapter 82:The Award Of Merit

January 16, 1984

11th Annual American Music Awards

"So let me get this straight," Michael whispered into my ear. " I am not allowed to mention anything about the baby, or that it's your birthday?"

I held my head up high, fighting back a smile and shaking my head from side to side. " Nope. Neither one."

" Why not?" He asked. "I mean the baby I understand, but your birthday?"

I looked at him. " Because, I don't want all the attention on me." I explained.

He snickered. "You're already turnin' heads with that dress your wearin'." We were sitting on the front row of the Historic Shrine Auditorium. Surrounded by voices of other celebrities and fans high in the balconies. I was dressed in an original dress designed by Alana. A long black dress with cut outs down my mid section and on the sides of my legs. For some reason I actually thought the dress was cute, and normally I would be extremely disgusted by something so revealing. When Danny and Alana presented the dress to me I completely fell in love with it.

"What? Are you saying you don't like it?" I asked looking down at it.

" No! I love it!" He reassured me. " I've just seen a lot of guys mouths drop to the floor. " He added with a frown.

I rolled my eyes. " You're so jealous." I laughed.

" I have the right to be." He said, glaring at me through his thick aviators.

" Are you gonna wear those damn things all night?" I asked.

He glanced around, not really knowing what I was talking about. " What?"

" Those sunglasses." I held up my hands to pull them off, but he grabbed  my wrist and kissed my knuckles.

" Yes," he said, suppressing his smile.

"Why?" I said in a whiney tone, rolling my towards the ceiling. " People want to see your eyes." He had told me a long time ago that he wore his thick black sun glasses to hide the pain in his eyes. I remember how profound that moment was because I wore my hair over my eyes for that exact same reason. But now I really saw no point. We had each other. So what difference would it had made.

"Are you forgetting how shy we are?"

"I'm not shy when I'm around you, Michael."

He cocked his head to the side. " That sounds really cliché"

"I'm not being cliché, I'm being serious. " I reached up in attempt to pull them off. Once again, he stopped me.

I could feel is glare through the lens. "I'm not taking my sunglasses off, Li." He said, ending the conversation.