Chapter 93: Betrayed

April 5, 1973

Will you listen to my story?
It will only take a minute.
How can I explain?
Whatever happened here
Never meant to hurt you.
How could I cause you so much pain?

All the words that I come up with
They're like gasoline on flames.
There's no excuse,
No explanation.
Believe me
If I could undo what I did wrong
I'd give away all that I own.

If I told you
I've been cleaning my soul
And if I promised you
I'll regain control
Will you open your door
And let me in?
Take me for who I am
And not for who I've been?

Who I've been...

When I say I'm sorry
Will you believe me?
Listen to my story
Say you wont leave me
When I say I'm sorry
Can you forgive me?
When I say I'll always be there
Will you believe?

-Dani

I looked up at my reflection in the mirror and inhaled deeply. Allowing the smell of hairspray and perfume to fill my nose nostrils. This was the second letter-or poem-I had read that was from her. It was actually the very first one she had written me that I had never opened. It was dated back to 1973 and by then she had been in jail for two years. I was eleven, and I wanted nothing to do with her. I had already convinced myself that I hated her and that never really loved me.

While reading it I could only ask myself one question: If I would've reald this then would I forgive her? Apart of me was saying no. I wouldn't. Then another part of me said that I would. I didn't know if I believed her when she said she always be there. I wasn't sure if it was very convincing, or if she had some guilt for all that sh had done. It was just a poem. Nothing more, but that. That just wasnt enough for me. I wanted a full on explananation. Details. Everything. That's what I needed.

Then I could decide whether or not I believed her.

I folded the note book paper up and stuffed it back into the envelope. Every thing was frantic. We were all in our dressing room preparing for our performance that was coming in the less than twenty minutes. I haven't seen or heard what was happening in the auditorium. I wasn't sure who had won an award and who hadn't. I wasn't sure who had already performed neither. I just knew that Donna Summer was the opening act, and I think I heard our name mentioned by John Denver on our way in. I wasn't sure.

I placed the envelope into my small purse and stood up from the chair where I was sitting. We were all already dressed and was now having our make up and hair touched up. " Guess who I just met!" Leena sung as she skipped her way into the room.

" Who?" Nikki asked, as she was putting her ear piece in.

"Tina Turner!" She began clapping her hands. " I was walking with Lance and I ran right into her. She's so pretty!" Leena and I loved Tina when we were younger. Watching the Ike & Tina Turner Review was the only time we ever got along for a good five minutes when they were on television. "She said she's excited for our performance."