Chapter 100: Road To Happiness

A/N: This chapter does not have to be read. The story plot picks up in the last couple chapters that I am now writing. So carry on.

Peace and Love,
Kay

What Lies Beneath
By: Diane Richards
Association publisher

She's a dimpled face, radiant beauty that stole the world's heart with her sexy abs, and her strong seductive voice

She's a dimpled face, radiant beauty that stole the world's heart with her sexy abs, and her strong seductive voice. Coming on to the music scene as the bold fiesty, and kinetic leader of the nation's hottest Female Pop group, Promise, whose music and style is creating its own empire in today's popular music. At the age of twenty-two, the singer/songwriter/dancer and model has been said to be the sexiest female performer in industry along with all of the other major sex symbols, Madonna, Vanity, Melanie Griffith, Kim Basinger, and her fellow group member, Nikki Harris.

Since Promise's debut in 1978, much has been written about her in the public. Media describes her be a "mysterious woman". Often shy and reserved in the public's eye, but also a defensive and aggressive person in the eye of the music. One who seemed to say what was on her mind through lyrics, without any hesitation. Using lyrics that may raise the eyebrows of some parents when is heard from the stereo of their teenage girl's room.

Brooklyn born, Aaliyah Dana Haughton grew up not knowing who her father was, and a mother who was hardly ever around. She was raised in Alabaster, Alabama by her grandmother for part of her life where she found her love for singing in a church along side of her sister Aleena (also a member of Promise) at the tender age of five. For as long as she could remember music has been a major part of her life. Whether she liked to admit or not. She grew up listening to the Ike and Tina Review, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Etta James, James Brown, Ray Charles, and Gladys Knight and The Pips. Often, she tells people that music saved her life without giving any explanation as to why. So far, she has been known to not speak of her childhood. It is left a mystery when it comes to Liyah. If it is brought up, she seems to always change subject. It seems that she wants to hold on to whatever it is that she's hiding. So, she often alludes to her past life when she says, " Of course, everbody's had hard times. I've had hard times. I don't really think I will go into detail as to what it was. But when you go through something so painful, it just helps you become a stronger person." When asked about her private life in general-like the reasoning for having to go to rehab back in 1980-she responds with a bright smile, " Private Life! I don't want to discuss that!" She's like a Teflon Diva. Nothing ever sticks to her.

Even when Aaliyah was young, she was private. "She was a very quiet child," remembers Dr. Denise Davis-Cotton, whom Aaliyah says guided her education in high school. "Very polite, personable, conscientious. She knew her goals in life at a very young age." Her aunt, Liana Haughton, attributes it to her niece's creativity. "She's quite a complex young lady," Haughton says. "She's always been like that. It's just a part of the genius of herself."