Look! A dinosaur!

"Whoa!! Mommy, look at the dinosaur!!" Cailyn shouts from a little ahead of me. It's the day of the play date and I somehow managed to keep myself from dreading or anticipating it too much. Or worrying. Or really thinking about it at all, really. Then before I knew it Liam was reminding me about the time we were meeting at this petting zoo/safari park the next morning. Now we're here and I have to admit, it's pretty cool. I'm getting pretty exciting about seeing the animals too, but not as much as Cailyn and Tessie are.

"Dinosaur?" Liam laughs, keeping his voice low so that Cailyn won't hear him. Sophia is walking hand in hand with Tessie, in between Cailyn (who is proudly leading the group on this adventure) and Liam and I, who happen to be stuck with the baby bags and picnic basket. 

I wince slightly then smile and shrug in reply. Cailyn is very excited, but perhaps I need to have her watch some animal shows later on. It's not exactly easy to mistake a placid cow for a long extinct animal? "That's a cow mija!" I call up to her. "But you should still be very careful around it!" I speed up a little, hoping I can catch up before they enter the next pen where the animals are waiting to be stroked by many little hands.

"Relax, she'll be fine." Liam says, swinging the picnic basket and smiling happily. "I'm really glad I thought of this, it's turning out even better than I had hoped it would."

"I'm glad you did too." I answer distractedly. "I just don't want her walking up behind it. Animals kick you know, at the very least you'll get a face full of tail." I hear him snicker at that and shoot me a teasing glare. "Don't laugh! It happened to me as a child and it does hurt!"

"Fair enough," he raises his hand peacefully. "Look, Sophia's waiting with them until we get there anyway. And there are handlers inside to watch over things."

"Yeah there was a handler with me too, but I still got smacked in the face with a horse's tail." I grumble as we reach the others. 

"They're very excited to see the cows and they've spotted the goats up ahead." Sophia informs us. "And," she says, sharing an amused look with me "your daughter has decided she wants to ride a goat when we get there." 

"Lovely," I shake my head and laugh. "Mija, that will not be happening. No riding the animals, I saw I sign that said that." 

"What?! Really?" she asks, eyes widening and her lower lip pouting. "But I wanna ride one and it won't hurt me..."

"No means no. Besides I'm entirely certain it's the goat hurting you we should be worried about." I share a laugh with the Paynes as we sanitize our hands and enter the pen to pet some "dinosaurs".  

Short and sweet....sorry. But the story about the horse's tail is 100% true as is the fact that my sister called a cow- no not even a cow- a calf, a dinosaur. Yup. Anyway hope this was enjoyable :)