How do you solve a problem like...

I get to the cafe a few minutes before the time we set to meet there. I grab a corner table towards the back of the room, there's only one other person in that area and they're on their laptop furiously typing away with headphones on. I doubt they'll pay us any attention. I order a muffin and some water, not really hungry for anything else and wait for Paddy. I glance up just in time to see him opening the door. The bell  jangles announcing him and the barista greets him. Paddy glances my way, sees me and waves, then goes the counter to order something. A minute later he's making his way over to my table, his drink in hand.

"Hi," I greet him. "thanks for meeting with me."

"That's alright. I'm sorry it wasn't as soon as I thought it would be, Liam's schedule has been keeping both of us busy." he sips on his coffee and watches me. I stare back until he sighs. "I hope you don't regret me telling you this. I thought it would be better if you didn't know. I didn't want you to worry."

"Paddy." I hold up my hand to stop him. "Liam came to my house in the middle of the night and was raving like a lunatic. The next day he yelled at me and pushed me. I was a little more than worried and this will lessen my fears, not the opposite."

"If you're sure..." he takes another, long sip of coffee. "it's probably for the best that I start at the beginning. You see, Liam has been having a hard time of it. I'm sure you know, you've seen what a toll this is taking on him. Ever since he found out for sure that Sophia was dead he became worse and worse. The first week was normal, I expected it. Then we went to England and things just kept increasing. His lack of appetite, nightmares, barely talking, not really bothering to shower or get out of bed. Tessie was fine, of course. Karen took care of her and both she and Geoff did their best with Liam. We thought he was beginning to do better so we went ahead and had the funeral. He managed to make it through and then come to dinner that night. But then after everyone had gone to bed and been asleep for a few hours, we were all woken up by a scream. We kept Tessie away, made up some story about a cat fighting in the garden. Liam had been having a nightmare and he was drenched in sweat. When we managed to wake him up he was shaken up, badly. They waiting until the morning to take him to the doctors, or so they planned but they couldn't manage to get him out of the house. They arranged for one to make a house call. Once the doctor had seen him he prescribed a long list of medication and spouted off some nonsense about 'depression' and 'normal response' blah blah blah." 

"So he has medicine? And he's been taking it?"

"Yes. Although most of them are daily doses, there are few that have to be taken twice a day, I remind him and then watch him take them each morning and evening. They seem to be working well enough."

"But if they're working, are they also causing side effects? Because there's still something going on with him Paddy." I'm getting a little worked up now. What Paddy's told me would make sense, Liam was struggling with a lot of grief and still seems to be. But if he's on all of these medicines, why is he still acting so oddly. "He's like a different person since he came back from England."

"I've seen his episodes, I know that everything is not quite right. I have read each of the labels on the bottles, none of the side effects listed match what he's been doing. His episodes consist of him being not himself, whether that is completely confused or even violent. I think it might be the amount of alcohol he's been drinking. Maybe it's messing with the medicines." he shakes his head, looking grave.

"Have you asked his doctors?" I inquire. "Or could it be possible that these medicines he's been taking have had a reaction taken all together?"

"Yes, I've talked to the doctors about it. They said the medicines are safe to use together, they've said it several times. When I asked them about the alcohol they said that a little won't hurt, but I shouldn't let him drink very much. I've hidden away as much of it as I can, but I believe that he somehow manages to get into it when I'm not around."

"So that's what's causing him to act that way?"

"It's the only thing I can think of." he shrugs. "And trust me when I say I've examined every angle. I was terrified the first time that it happened. Everything had been going well, he was sleeping through the night and eating regularly and was even well enough to work. Now, with these episodes becoming more frequent I've been thinking about either taking him off his medicines or pulling him out work."

"I can't imagine..." I pause, trying to find the words. I feel terrible for Liam. I wish he would be able to have a break, he's gone through so much. And Paul too, taking care of him and carrying all of this on his shoulders.

He glances up and seems to read everything he needs to in my facial expression. He nods and smiles a little. "I might pull him out of work anyway. I've been in contact with his parents, telling them what's been going on. They're considering what to do, although they trust me if I need to make a quick judgment."

I nod and take a small bite of my muffin. My next words are blurted out on a whim. "Thank you so much for telling me. I don't think you should have to handle him alone...so please let me know if you need any help."

He glances up from his coffee, surprised. "Are you sure? You have enough to handle with those little girls. And uh-" he clears his throat. "the other day as I was leaving your mother ran out and warned me off of upsetting you. She said that you're experience with Liam had left you very vulnerable. I would love the help, maybe you could be around the house with Tessie more. She seems to be one of the few things he hasn't shifted personalities with, he always calms down when I mention her."

"Of course, I can't promise that I will be able to do this too often, especially if it gets too much for me. I have...I have things in my past that makes the yelling- well it sets me off I guess. It's hard to explain. But even if you ever need to come over and talk. Please do." I smile at him, a little shakily, and reach over to place my hand over the one he has clutching his coffee cup. "We all need to be in this together to get him back to normal."