A special Cinderella...

We had a quiet evening together, after Liam left. I fixed a simple meal and we sat at the small table I had bought and placed on the far side of the kitchen. Cailyn whines about how peas she was given but eats them in the end. I play with the curls of her hair as she tells me about some game she and Theresa were playing in the bedroom earlier.

"An she said this one's Daddy an I said this one an then she said this one an I said the one with the Tardis an then she ran out to her real Daddy and told me this one." she breaks off in a fit of giggling. I smile over my cup as I take a sip, apparently they were pointing out Liam in the few posters that are hung up in the bedroom. Well four or so, not the point. We put on Beauty & The Beast, one of Cailyn's favorite movies. I pull out a book to read, stopping occasionally to watch her interact with the movie. Sometimes she sings along with the songs or dances to them and other times she simply watches, her eyes open wide.

Once the movie finishes I help her change into her pajamas and brush her teeth. I tuck her into bed and take her hand a pray a quick prayer of blessing over her. Her eyes are drooping slightly but her mouth is still running as fast as ever.

"Shhh mija, which story do you want me to read?" I ask her, pulling out the basket by her bed that is full of picture books and fairy tales. She props herself up a little and watches me sort through them. 

"I dunno." she says flopping back onto the bed. I wink and reach across her for Toby. 

"And what about Toby? Does he know what he wants to hear tonight?" I cuddle him up by her face, making kissing noises as he pecks her cheek and neck. 

"Toby says," she pauses in exasperation "Sshhh mommy I can't hear Toby..." she pulls him away from me and holds his face by her ear, nodding seriously. "Toby says to do special Cinderella story." she leans closer to me to whisper. "Because it's special."

"Oh, a good choice Toby. I think I saw that one just a second ago!" I bend down again and shuffle through the stack. "Ah, here it is. Cuddle up and I'll start," she furrows deeper into her pillow and blankets as I open up the book and lean against her bed, holding out the book so that I can see it to read and that she can see the pictures. "Am I a princess too mommy?" she asks sleepily just as I'm about to start.

"Of course you are, mija. But you don't need princes or a fairy godmother to make you a princess, remember, you're special just being Cailyn!" I smile at her and she grins back. She pulls Toby closer and nudges me to begin reading.

"There once lived a fair young maiden in a far off land, her mother died when she was but a child and so her father raised her alone. Oh how he doted on his daughter, Ella she was called. He loved her and wanted the very best. He didn't want her to be without a mother so he went out to find a new wife, he happened to find one with two daughters already. 'Perfect!' he thought. Little did he know that the women he brought home wouldn't bring his daughter joy or much help at all..." I continue reading the book to her and towards the end her eyes grow heavier and her breathing slower and deeper.

"And with that the ugly stepsisters were taken away by the palace guards and the Prince took Cinderella away to his castle. There they would have their wedding and live happily ever after." I close the book and place it back in the basket. It's one that stinks closer to the original story, Cailyn having seen the Disney movie has taken to calling it the special Cinderella. I kiss her forehead lightly and head off into the living room for an hour to myself before heading to bed too.

Bit of a filler but hopefully it's a cute filler ^-^ Vote & comment pleaseeee