Just wait...

"I hear you've been talking with my mother behind my back." Is how I begin our conversation. It's a few days later and I've taken the opportunity, thanks to the free time I've been given with my mother here, to visit Liam at the rehab center he enrolled himself into. As per our general habit, I'm calling Louis with the news from Liam. I've just come out from a visit with Liam, short of course, but that's not to say that progress hasn't been made. It's rather like Peeta from the hunger games (I know, old news, but sometimes those characters just stick with you) where there are hints of his old personality and his old self, but it's not like things are back to normal immediately. I've come out from the visit feeling a little saddened, as I usually am after seeing him this way, and a little hopeful. Just think about it. Months ago, I didn't even know how Tessie was doing. I hoped that Liam would get help, but it seemed like such a distant future at the time. 

"So you finally found out." Louis's voice sounds distant over the phone, a slightly bad connection making it hard to hear him. "We made a bet to see how long it would take for you to find out, if you had only lasted a few more days I could have been ten pounds richer, damn you." 

I blink in surprise at this before breaking out into laughter. "It's nice to know that my mother has a little confidence in me at least. But then," I add mischievously "she was the one who let it slip that she had been talking to you. You may have been cheated out of your money Tommo." 

"I seem to be losing on all fronts lately," he sighs "Harry won me over, finally. I put up a good fight for Emily, though, at least."

"What?!" I exclaim in shock and excitement. "Does this mean that she's officially being named Darcy?" He mumbles something that sounds a little like a yes. "I can't believe it, I thought you would have fought and died a graphic death before agreeing to it."

"it's horribly weak of me isn't it? I just couldn't tell him no, in the end. The poor chap even brought out old interviews where he mentioned how he wanted to name his first child Darcy. He was desperate to win."

"Goodness," I laugh "have you finally met your match?" I find it the cutest thing, family man Louis isn't very different from the regular Louis, but he's the one who let's anything get by him without much of a fight. He's the sort of dad who, I can foresee, let's his child stay up late and eat sweets and get away with almost anything just because they pulled out a pitiful look on him. Probably not the best thing when it comes to parenting and disciplining, but I find it hilarious. Opinionated, loud Louis Tomlinson grumbling about his Cocoa Pops being eaten or replaced by some whole grain cereal but still putting up with it and letting Harry get away with it all. 

"He's always been my match." he replies quietly. "And we're so happy with her, she's an angel honestly. I thought I was infatuated with your girls, yes that's right I'm not ashamed to admit it even, anymore. Darcy though, she's the cutest little thing and she is going to be heartbreaker. She's so beautiful." I can practically hear him smiling through phone. "I know we only adopted her, but she's honestly ours. I swear she somehow has Harry's dimples and my eyes. We're both just over the moon about her, possibly from lack of sleep, but we can't fault her for that."

"You're getting soft," I grin as I stare out the window at the sun setting over the city. "but you sound so happy I can't even find the heart to tease you about it."

"Good, I mean bloody hell, I thought you were just as ridiculous with Cailyn and Tess."

"Am I?" I ask, smiling at the thought. They both are my world, really. I sometimes want an adult to talk to, but often times they're all the company I want for. "Children are wonderful, aren't they?"

"Sure are." Louis says. "But, I don't think that's the reason that you called, now is it?"

I straighten up in my seat and reposition my grip on my phone. "I was calling to give you an update on Liam, but I'd much rather hear all about Darcy. You had better start sending me loads more pictures. If I know you two, you no doubt have her as your phone backgrounds and have taken millions of pictures already!"

"Now why would you say that?" Louis asks, a little miffed. 

"I've seen how many pictures of Harry you have on your phone Louis! I know that he probably has just as many on his."

"Whatever." Louis coughs slightly "What was it you wanted to tell me about Liam now?" he attempts to change the subject and I let him. He and Harry deserve all the happiness that they have attained, more than anything they do.

"It's not much of an update, but he's started changing a little bit. He called me Isabella today. He asked after Tessie, as usual, but it was a little differently phrased today. The doctors said his appetite has been fluctuating, they think it's his mind shifting and becoming more emotional balanced. But due to that he is being more affected by Sophia's absence."

"So...what does that mean for us?" Louis asks, his voice more serious and concerned. No doubt he hates hearing what Liam is going through just as much as I do, if not more.

"Not much that we can do," I say as I start my car, anticipating that the conversation won't last much longer. "they say all we can do is wait for things to continue in this direction. They think it will happen...with time he'll be some fraction of his former self."