Harder than expected

"What do you want to do today?" I ask Tessie as we walk back up to the apartment. We've just dropped Cailyn off at kindergarten and returned home. "We could do finger painting as you've been wanting to, if you want." I cast a sly smile at her, knowing it's something she'll be excited to hear.

"Ooh!!" She claps her hands in excitement as she jogs to catch up with me. I'm walking at a fast pace because I left a casserole in the oven to cook while we were gone. I've been getting more and more organized with my meal plans and working them around our everyday life. Casseroles have been a blessing. "I'd love to finger paint, finally!!" She rolls her eyes dramatically.

"I told you that we had to get something to put on the floor just in case the painting gets messy. I'm sure that with you it probably will." I wink at her and push the door open for her to walk in first. Tessie has been begging to finger paint on a large canvas that was left over from the kindergarten. Caitlin and her classmates did finger painting a week ago and since then she's been obsessed with trying it too. I spoke to the teacher and got some of the leftover materials that weren't needed and promised Tessie that we would set everything up as soon as I found some way to protect the floor. Since we don't have an easel to put the canvas on, it has to go on the table or the floor. I opted for the floor but wasn't about to let her finger paint with nothing covering the carpet. 

Yesterday I managed to find an old blanket that we never use and laid it out to find that it would be large enough to protect the carpet. So after double checking that we had everything needed (imagine if I told Tessie that we could do it, if I had promised her and then we were missing something!) I planned to do some finger painting with her today. 

As I set my keys and purse down in the living room I hear an excited squeal from the kitchen. I would have been satisfied and pleased with myself...if I had already set up everything. But I hadn't. So what was she excited about?

"Oh..." I trail off as I walk into the kitchen and see Tessie hugging her father. "What are you doing here?