Small talk

Liam settles on the couch and we make small talk, commenting on the cool weather as we watch the girls playing. Theresa seems to become more and more confident, hoarding crayons and even snatching one of the banana slices I had put out for Cailyn. "We tried play dates too." Liam says suddenly, bringing up something I had mentioned earlier. "The end result was the other child giving up on involving Theresa and playing alone while she watched from next to me and Soph. Cailyn is one of the few children I've seen her become comfortable with."

I nod in understanding. "I think we've all had one of those sorts of play dates before. It's like mini-matchmaking. Possibly even more stressful than matchmaking."

"I would agree. It's been a terrible headache with Soph and me. Especially when Theresa isn't interested in many things."

"Really? That's odd, children have such short attention spans."

"Exactly, what we thought, but Theresa can sit quietly for hours. Car rides aren't a problem at all."

"That must be nice, considering all the traveling y'all must do."

"It is..." Liam pauses and looks like he was about to say something else but then doesn't continue.

I find myself fidgeting slightly and watching him, his face turned as he watches the girls play, smiling at something Cailyn has just told Theresa.

"It's so interesting to watch them...some of their interactions are so childish and then others can be so understanding and...adult-like." he grins pulls out his phone to take a couple pictures of the two coloring side by side.

"I thought I had better get some proof, Soph might not believe me otherwise." he explains. I hold up and hand and shake my head.

"No I understand completely. It's fine." Another long pause. I feel like I have to fill it but I restrain myself. Think before you speak, I remind myself. I don't want to blurt out something ridiculous about how like his haircut (the david beckham/justin timberlake combo) or how familiar I am with how he's sitting, slouching back into the couch with one leg pulled onto the other, his hand holding his ankle. How many interviews have I seen where he's done this? And know he's doing it in my living room.

My small living room. I wince, glancing around. I tidied it yes, but I can't change how shabby and small it must look compared to whatever mansion he's living in. We've got a four room apartment, the living room and kitchen/dining room, a single bedroom, and bathroom. I try to ignore the voice in the back of my head, telling me how far beneath him I am. I focus on the girls instead, Liam's now filming them or taking more pictures and seems to not mind the silence.

This would have been a longer update but I had an trying afternoon with a spanish project that had to be recorded orally and I had to use screencapture and UGH. So sorry that's it's slightly shorter :/ Comment and vote pleaseee ^-^