Anticipation

Mom comes into my room about ten minutes later to find me staring at my phone. "So," she begins "what was that all about?" she sits down on the bed next to me. I lean the phone towards her so that she can read the screen. She raises an eyebrow and hums. "What are you going to do about it?" 

"I'm going to call Paddy. Truth be told I should have called him after LIam blew up at me. Liam was so confused that night, he didn't remember it the next day...or at least he said that he didn't. But I didn't even think about it, really." I shrug "Either way I'm doing it now and it's only been a week or so. It shouldn't matter."

"What do you think that they want to talk to you about?" she tucks a few strands of hair behind her ear that have fallen onto her face as she was leaning toward me.

"I'm not sure. It could be anything from getting Tessie a comb to firing me," I mumble nervously.

"They wouldn't fire you! I know that he threatened you with it, but honestly he would be an idiot if he did. Anyone can see that you're as good as a mother to that girl and probably mean just as much by now."

"Don't say that," I whisper. "it just reminds me that her real mother is gone."

"I'm sorry. I didn't think." she apologizes.

"Will you stay here with me while I call Paddy?" I get it out clearly, surprisingly. I've always had trouble asking for help, being sure I could do it on my own.

"Of course." she smiles and gives my waist a squeeze as I begin to scroll through my contacts.