Louis?

I manage to corner mother as we're cleaning up after dinner. "Now that I've gotten you alone and you can't run off, tell me how you got in contact with Louis. Did you steal his number off of my phone?" I eye her suspiciously. No lie, she did steal a boy's number from my phone when I was a teenager in hopes of finding out if I was hiding a boyfriend from her. While she wasn't as pushy for me to have a boyfriend back then, she was still nosy and hinted a lot.

"I didn't, but I'm glad to know what you actually think of me." She frowns at me as she begins loading the dishwasher. "He actually answered one day when I called, you were out with the girls and we had a nice little talk."

"But then how did you get his number?" I ask, puzzled. "And I am sorry, for thinking of that extreme, but it's not you haven't done it before." I hand her the remaining dishes from the sink and dry my hands off.

"Believe it or not, he called me. He had a question about something regarding you, he wanted to check if it would set you off or something like that. I think he called me from your phone." She steps aside to let me pour the dish washer detergent in and then close and start it.

"Huh. I suppose I should have expected it from either one of you I suppose." I sigh and lean against the counter. "You're both gossips and troublemakers." I glance over her and laugh. "Have you discovered that about him?"

"I realized it from the beginning. It took less than five minutes of conversation, he's wonderful though." she smiles. "I think he was good for you, in fact," she shakes her head slightly "even though I was so against you and Cailyn moving here and away from me, I'm glad you did."

"Me too." I smile and lean over to hug her, wrapping my arms around her waist and rest my head on her shoulder. "Even though there has been plenty of pain that has come with moving out here, I think overall it's been a beneficial and healing experience." 

"Despite everything you've gone through, I don't think you would be this happy if you hadn't moved. You were right when you said you needed a change of scenery and to get away, even though I doubted if that was true at the time." She rubs my shoulders almost distractedly as she talks.

"Maybe now you'll realize that I can actually make some of my own decisions, right?" I wink up at her. "Maybe now you'll let me pick out my own man now?"

"Oh no, you can't be trusted with that. You'll let all of the good ones slip away before you realize what a wonderful chance you're about to miss." She chuckles and steps away from me. "You're never getting rid of that mothering instinct. Might as well stop trying."

"Never." I walk arm in arm with her to join the girls in the living room. As we sit all together, watching the animated movie that the girls chose I can't help but let my mind drift. If I hadn't moved our here we never would have met the Paynes and while things may have worked out better for them if they hadn't met me, if Sophia had never gotten on that plane for my sake...but on the other hand would our daughters have found such a good friend? I shake those thoughts off, there's no way that things could change now. This road we're on is the only one we get.