Mother-daughter bants

The next morning, mother arrives right on time. I find her there at exactly 9:45, when she said she would be here, standing out on my now worn welcome mat and wearing a very brightly colored floral outfit. "Hi there," I greet her as I hold the door open and hug her with my free arm. "the girls are so excited to have fun with you and I'm so excited for you to take them off of my hands for an hour or two." I smile at her as she sets her bags down to hug me fully. She looks as spunky as ever, I worry about the day that I'll find her napping on the sofa with a fat cat and watching The Price is Right every day at 11:00. 

"I'm excited to see everyone too!" she exclaims, winking at the girls who are behind me. They've been up since seven thirty, asking me every five minutes when grandma was going to arrive. Jessie, the cutie, has started referring to her as grandma too. I would feel guilty about it, but I make sure that she has a video call with both sets of grandparents at least once a month and says hi on the phone if she's around when I'm talking to them. Plus, I think it makes her feel more at home. "And I'm more than happy to take them off of your hands. After all, I hear you've been busy running around and taking care of Liam again?"

"Not as much as you might have heard- wait who did you hear that from?" I begin to walk off with her bags, to take them into the guest room when I drop them and spin back around with a suspicious look. "Who have you been talking to?"

"That wonderful young man who came and helped you out so much a few months ago. You should have snatched him up when you had the chance, honestly." She wrinkles her nose at me. "Apparently he's married with a child on the way. If only you had managed to snare him..." she looks at me forlornly, as if I've disappointed her immensely. 

"He was married when I met him mother," I roll my eyes and pick her bags back up to continue on into the bedroom. "I never know if you honestly consider the sanctity of marriage however, not after you pushed me onto that florist." I call after myself.

"I genuinely thought that she was his sister!!" She sputters. "How was I supposed to know they had been married for ten years?" I can hear her pause from yelling to me to address Cailyn. "Deary, I will be with you and only you two all afternoon and probably many of the following days. Let me rant to your mother a little before I start having fun with you. I'm her mother you know, there's no one else that will take the time to fix her like I will."

"Really," I say as I return from putting away her bags. "you can let the lecturing slide, I won't miss it. And," I add, just to have the last word "the Parsons had such a great dynamic is just seemed like they had known each other their whole lives. It was obvious to everyone else."

"If you ask me that's just a recipe for a bad marriage...no spark or pizzaz, no tension." My mother's eyes light up as brightly as the yellow cardigan that she's wearing. "You need someone who'll give you tingles every time you see him. Just as well that Mr.Parsons was married after all." 

"Whatever!" I laugh "Just take these two off my hands and stop lecturing me about marriage and husband hunting. When I'm serious about it I'll find a gun and skin him good."

"Oh no," concern fills her eyes "you don't use a gun Isabella, honestly." She huffs in disappointment. "See, this is exactly why you need me."

"I don't careeeee!" I draw out the end of the word as long as I can as I hand her all of the girls things. It may seem cruel to hand them off to my mother within seconds of her walking through the door, but luckily she doesn't mind. Five minutes later they're gone and it's only then that I realize, I never found out why she was talking to Louis or how she even got his number. "I sure hope those two haven't been gossiping about me," I mumble to myself. "that's just what I would need."