So...is that a yes?

"So what do you say?" he asks me, watching my face hopefully. I shake my head slowly and watch the girls play, not responding for a few seconds.

"I'll admit, it does seem to perfect to pass up. It's probably a better job than I would have found, at least for a while." I rub my eyes. Is this the wrong decision to make? Sure I imagine the pay will be good, Theresa seems sweet, and it's everything I wanted. Catered to me in a lot of ways and I can do it from home very easily. Everything seems perfect. Seems perfect...something is making me think about this way too much. Some premonition or fear is making think about this twice as long as is probably necessary. I fold my hands in my lap and lean onto my knees. Cailyn is waving a barbie doll around her and Theresa's heads and making zooming noises. 

That's when I make my decision. Whatever unfounded doubts I might have about this job opportunity, Cailyn is what matters. She's why I was looking for a job from home in first place, and she's the most important piece in my decision. I lift my head and nod to Liam.

"I'll do it. Assuming that your wife agrees to your idea, I'll do it." I get up from the chair and rummage around in my purse on the counter. "Let me get you a card with my contact information on it, that way you'll be able to let me know when I'll start if this works out." I fish out an old card I used maybe a year ago when I was hunting for my previous job, the information is still current and the card is only a little faded around the edges. I hand it to him and then settle back into the computer chair uneasily. 

"You don't seem very happy." he comments as he adjusts himself to pull out his wallet from his back pocket and put my card into one of the folds. 

"If I don't it's just that I'm still a little taken aback by everything that has been happening," I shrug. "this kind of thing would rock anyone's world."

"I imagine it would..." Liam doesn't finish and turns away slightly, not looking me in the eye. I wonder what has occurred to him, but don't press. A somber silence falls between us, despite the girls playing nearby. Theresa has begun making little noises as they play with their dolls. A bark noise from Barbie's dog, a giggle when Cailyn makes her doll trip over Theresa's, little signals that's she having fun and getting more and more comfortable. Liam pulls out his phone again, to record Theresa playing, and I take it as a clear sign that our conversation is over. I fumble for a book on the bookshelf next to me and place it on my lap, pretending to read. I can't focus on the words and my thoughts are spinning around my head.

Conflicted thoughts strike my from all sides. He's actually real! He's sitting in my apartment. What does he think of my apartment? How much checking up on me did he do? Did he find out about Cailyn's dad? Why was he already thinking about offering me a job when all we did was exchange a few words at the grocery store? What Sophia doesn't like me and doesn't want to trust me with this job? Then what...all of this will be ripped away from me. I'll probably never see hi- them- again!

I almost don't hear him when he speaks up again, maybe ten minutes later. I managed to keep up a charade of reading, flipping pages every know and again. I stopped to watch the girls a few times, they act like they've known each other much longer than an hour...if that long.

"Thank you for having us, I'm chuffed that Theresa got to play with Cailyn, but it's getting late and we don't want to intrude on your dinner." he stands up, gathering up his jacket from the couch where I hadn't even noticed he'd placed it. "Cmon Tess, we've got to go back home and see your mother."

She stops playing and turns towards him, away from Cailyn, and frowns slightly. She opens her mouth then, glancing over at me, closes it. She nods solemnly and puts down her doll. She lets Cailyn hug her and then walks over to where Liam is waiting. He picks her up and nods to me, I walk them to the door and open it. A brisk cool invades the house and I shiver.

"Thank you for coming and returning my phone," I say, with a small smile. He nods and pats my arm with his free hand. Cailyn snuggles into my side and I wrap an arm around her.

"It was no trouble at all. I look forward to seeing you again, hoping this Nanny job makes it past Soph. Good night Isabella." he exits and gives us a small wave before turning around and walking away towards the parking lot.

"Well, that was both unexpected and interesting, wasn't it?" I comment to Cailyn as I shut the door behind them.

Bit longer this time :) And a bit...darker almost too haha. Blame it on the zombie game I watched ThatcherJoe play before writing this...

So what do you think was holding Isabella back from accepting Liam's offer immediately? Why do you think she was so conflicted?

Voting and commenting much appreciated!!