Briana

My lip curls and as I readjust myself against the pillows that are somewhat propping me up. "That's who you got? Briana?" About a month ago, and much to my displeasure, we received a visit from a girl who had caused a lot of trouble for One Direction. She had used them to catapult herself and is now designing a clothing line and attending fashion and award shows regularly. Somehow she found out about me and whose child now had me as her legal guardian. She actually had the audacity to suggest we make a deal together to somehow con money and enough rumors to give the tabloids enough material for several months. I turned her down and insisted she get out of my apartment and stay away.

It would seem she hasn't kept that promise. "How do you know about her?" I quiz my mother. "I suppose she was the one who told you that I disliked her?"

"She came up to us a few times at the pool and even once when I was helping the girls into the car. It was about two weeks ago. She said you didn't think much of her because of things in the past. She didn't say what exactly it was," mother continues slowly "she was actually quite vague with the details. However, I thought that she seemed nice enough." I roll my eyes. I should have expected as much. It's just like Briana to sneak around and trick my mother into thinking that I'm prejudiced against her for a silly reason.

"You need to go back and stay with them, please!" I tell her, desperately. "You've got to go and tell her to leave. I don't want her around Cailyn and I especially don't want her around Tessie. She wanted to persuade me to blackmail the other boys or Liam's family with threats against her." I twist the bed sheets in my hands anxiously. I hate the thought of Briana being alone with the girls. If only I had mentioned her to mother before this...well what's in the past is in the past. I've got to do all that I can to make sure she doesn't try to steal away Tessie or start calling Liam's friends and family for any reason.

"Well-I ah-I didn't know that." She looks a little flustered. "She really asked you to do that? Blackmail?"

Yes, it's essentially what happened years ago. It all came out in the end, but I've never trusted her and from what I see now, it's with good reason! Please, I need you to get home and make sure the girls are alright. Then kick her out and don't let her see them again." I take a deep breath and glance at the window. The shades and curtains are drawn but I can see that it's already quite dark. "Did they say when I can be released?"

"Hmmm?" My question rouses my mother out of her thoughtful state as she rummages around in her purse. "Sorry, I was focussing on finding my car keys, what did you say?"

"When will I be able to leave the hospital?"

"I'm not sure, they're still figuring out how serious your concussion is Isabella. I want you to stay until they're sure it is safe for you to leave, so don't you dare think about trying to get out any earlier than is safe! I know you care about Liam and it's probably killing you to know how much time you've lost and have all of these doctor's voices in your head telling you statistics and what his chances will dwindle to...but I promise you," she leans over and grasps my hand in hers. "I'm going to go home and make sure our girls are safe and make Briana leave them alone. Then, provided everything goes well, I'll take Tessie to see Liam tomorrow myself. I'll bring Cailyn here for you to watch or something and I'll take Tessie and you can write down anything you want me to say to Liam. I'll do whatever I can to put you at ease." She pauses and I can see her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Just you promise me that you won't risk yourself for him while you're still healing. Focus on healing and not him, you have to know when to put yourself first."

I nod, getting a little emotional myself. "I promise mother. Thank you," I sniffle and blink away a few tears. "I can't thank you enough for all that you're doing. You've stayed here for so long beyond what you planned and done so much. If you do all that you've just said you would, you'd truly be a hero to me."

"I know," she kisses my forehead. "and that is all I've ever wanted to be to you. Your mother, of course, but I've wanted you to know that I'd move heaven and earth for you. Luckily, all I have to move is a three year old and a skinny troublemaker." I wave her off a few minutes later and manage to calm myself down soon after. I turn the television on and try to numb out any pain (although the injection that a nurse gives me an hour later definitely helps) and forget my worrisome thoughts swirling through my mind.