Clearing things up

By the time that mother has returned to my room, I'm in a panic. The nurse, Maggie, is forcibly restraining me to keep me in my bed. "Isabella!" My mother exclaims as she rushes over to my bedside. "What on earth are you doing?"

"You don't understand," I cry, "Liam only has one more day, I have to go and be with him! I was supposed to take Tessie to see him today!" I collapse against the bed, pausing my struggle in exhaustion. I'm out of breath already and can barely speak. "You know what they said," I pause to inhale deeply. "If we don't get him to wake up in the next day, there won't be much of a chance of him waking up again, ever!" By now there are tears streaking my cheeks. 

Mother motions for Maggie to step aside and then wraps me in her arms. "You weren't like this earlier," she murmurs, her face contorted in confusion"what brought this on?" 

"I came in when she pressed the call button," Maggie interjects before I can speak "it seems she is experiencing some memory loss from the concussion. She woke up not remembering the previous bouts of consciousness and wondering why she was in the hospital. I was explaining it all to her when she asked how long she had been here. Once I told her she begin to try to get out of bed and take out her IV." She explains what transpired and mother nods along, understanding dawning in her eyes.

"Now, I see." She sighs tiredly. "We'll talk about this later, I want you to focus on resting and healing. He'll take care of himself." She sees I'm about to speak off and cuts me off with a look that says she means business. "I think she'll be fine now," she turns to wave Maggie off "I'm sure you've got things to do, sorry to have bothered you. I'll be with her now, no need to worry."

Maggie frowns and takes a step forward. "Are you sure you don't want me to bring over a superior? She seemed pretty distraught-"

"I'm perfectly sure she'll be calm now. We'll just need to talk about it, you see." After much reassurance Maggie leaves, closing the door partially behind her and reminding mother that we can call if we need absolutely anything. "She's a sweet girl, but what you need right now is to be alone, isn't it?" Mother comments knowingly. 

"Has it really been that long?" I moan into her shoulder. She's stooped over me and the bed in an awkward position. I gently release her and take deep breaths. 

"It has," she sits down in a chair in the corner of the room. Her purse is on the floor next to it, something I hadn't noticed before. "you gave me quite a scare." She looks at me with something that isn't quite completely anger nor completely fear nor relief in her eyes. "I got your call and just heard this awful silence. You're incredibly lucky."

"So I've heard." I gingerly touch my head bandage and wince. "I'm sure this looks awfully painful, but I honestly can't feel anything. Must be good meds..." I smirk a little.

"I told them to do whatever they thought best." Mother smiles in return and takes out her phone. "Here," she says, passing it over to me. "Cailyn and Tessie have been sending you selfies every thirty minutes. You've already seen most of them, but then I guess you've forgotten that." She sighs. "I had hoped the concussion wasn't that damaging." 

"I've seen these before?" I ask, slightly unfocussed from my mother's following affirmation. "My beautiful girls," I smile down at the phone as I swipe through twenty or so selfies of Cailyn and Tessie hugging and smiling in front of the camera. A thought occurs to me, as I continue to look through their selfies. "Who did you get to stay with them by the way?" I ask, my earlier concern coming back. I'm glad, of course, that she didn't bring them to the hospital, but I don't want my girls left with just anyone...

"Oh, I got someone you trust. Are you sure you don't feel any pain? I think the medicine was supposed to be wearing off in the next hour or so." She tries to change the subject.

"Mother?!" My voice breaks a little and I try to regain some composure. I can feel myself starting to freak out a little from worry about the girls. I know, logically, that mother wouldn't leave them with anyone she thought was dangerous. However, that doesn't stop me from worrying, whether it's pointless or not. 

"Look, I knew you wouldn't be happy about it, but I called the one person I knew was in the area and available."

"Who is it mother?" I exhale shakily and lean back into the pillows. "It's worse not knowing."

"It's Briana," she says in a rush, staring at her feet and not meeting my gaze. "I simply had no other options and she offered."

SO MANY ELLIPSES, I'M SORRY >.< And also sorry for the slight gap between updates. This week I had several activities and also a friend in town who I hadn't seen in a while and another going out of state to college in about a week. So it's been a little busy ;)