Chapter 126

Chapter 126

Thomas heads out in the waiting room, wasting no time in grabbing his phone and calling Mr. Duggan.

"We just got done she put the results into the computer. The ones she gave me were six weeks....due date Dec. 2nd." Thomas states.

"Ok, I will do my thing and get back to you tonight. In the meantime, act as if everything is normal." Mr. Duggan says.

"I have every intention of doing that. Thank you again."Thomas answers.

"No problem." Mr. Duggan replies.

"Who was that?" Alana asks walking out of the Dr.'s room.

"Just a guy at work, I told him to take care of the customer for me, I was busy." Thomas lies.

"Wow, now that is really new. Normally you would have run out of here and straight to the office." Alana answers.

"That was the old me, not this one. I have plans with my wife, and I am keeping them. Baby shopping right?" Thomas replies.

"Yes, and lunch as I recall?" Alana responds.

"Yes, that too." Thomas comments.

They leave the doctor's office, both acting as if nothing is out of the ordinary. Thomas wanted to play that way, and Alana went along with it.

Thomas has a lot on his mind but does his best to enjoy the afternoon. Taking Alana too different stores, and spending some quality time together. Actually laughing, talking, and having fun. It was something they haven't done in years together.

They buy a few items for the baby, Alana not letting on that she knows its a girl. Just saying that she feels it is one. Thomas doesn't really care if it is or not. It was a child, no matter his or not, it was bringing them together. It was bringing their family back together as he wanted. It's what made it a bit easier to accept.

They go to lunch sitting side by side, Thomas trying to get close to her, and she accepts it. Not pushing him away, or being mean, all that seemed in the past. It made Thomas happy, and sad at the same time.

They head home, gathering up the bags that they bought, heading inside their home. Alana brings the bags upstairs into the guest room laying them on the bed, as she takes a seat on top of it.

"Who would have ever thought I would be doing this? It's because of you little girl. I want you to have a wonderful life, with both parents. Just like your brother has had. I want all good things for you and one day, I will tell you the real story. I will tell you about your biological father, the one I loved dearly but couldn't have. Not sure when I will be able to tell you, but I will." Alana says.

She gets up and walks to her bedroom, taking off her coat, and shoes, laying herself on the bed.

Thomas coming in to remove his dress jacket and tie.

"Tired huh?" Thomas asks.

"Yes, I am going to take a nap. I will be down to make dinner." Alana says.

"That sounds great, I have a work call to make, then I may come to lay next to you." Thomas answers.

"That will be nice," Alana replies turning around and closing her eyes.

How she wished this was Luke, why did it have to be this way? Why was Thomas the one, for this instead? She has so many questions, just no answers. A tear falls from her eye, and she just brushes it away.

Thomas heads downstairs, waiting for Mr. Duggan to call him back. He paces the floor, knowing no matter what he tells him, he needs to be ok with it. He needs to see it for the best.

After a half-hour, his phone finally rings, for what seemed like an eternity.

"Yes, I am here. What did you find out?" Thomas states.

"I had to dig and hard, the doctor is a smart one. She was in on the whole thing and knew she couldn't put it where anyone could find the truth, but she still had to write down some of the true facts so if any other doctor on call would be there they wouldn't panic." Mr. Duggan explains.

"What do you mean?" Thomas asks.

"She put on the first page everything that she told you....all the fake shit, making Alana have two files. One that was real, and one that was for show."Mr. Duggan continues.

"What did the real one say?" Thomas comments.

"She is three months and two weeks pregnant and her real due date is on Oct 2. Form what I know, it's not yours, but only you know if you were intimate with your own wife around that time. I just know she was with Luke around that time." Mr. Duggan answers.

"No, we were not intimate...we just started that six weeks ago, "Thomas says taking a seat on the sofa.

"I figured. Well, clearly she didn't want you to know and had to ask the doctor before your appointment to fix it. I take it she is staying with you?" Mr. Duggan asks.

"Yes we already discussed that, and it won't happen again. Thank you for everything. Still watch Luke for a bit more." Thomas says.

"Anything you want. I am sorry to have to tell you that." Mr. Duggan confesses.

"I pretty much already figured it, it wasn't a big surprise," Thomas remarks, keeping his cool.

"Good luck man, I hope everything turns out good for you both." Mr. Duggan replies.

"Thank you. I hope the same." Thomas answers hanging up the phone.

He walks to the kitchen cabinet and pulls out the bottle of Jack, not even putting it in a glass, he just swishes it down his throat needing something to call his nerves.

His intuition was right this whole while, he knew it wasn't his child. It was the real reason she was behaving and wanted to stay. It's what cooled everything down, otherwise, it would be over.

The child was a blessing to him, even though it wasn't his. He had to look at it that way, also seeing, as he said before, it would be his. He would be the one raising it, it would have his name.

He toasts to the baby, thanking it in a way for giving him what he wanted, for that, he would take this to his grave.