Chapter 161

chapter 161

In the morning, Alana goes to work, making sure everything is taken care of, so she can get off early. As much as she doesn't like spending time around Sr. She wants to help Thomas out as much as she can. She knows he is just beat and needs some rest. This is taking a toll on him.

She gets her work down and heads to her inlaws, opening the door to a quiet house. The tv that is normally on in the living room isn't, Sr. is in the kitchen looking defeated and worn out himself. Alana walks into the kitchen to say hello, and as she gets closer she can actually see tears in Sr.'s eyes.

"Are you ok?" Alana asks.

"Yes, I will be fine." Sr. says wiping his eyes as fast as he can.

"You can talk to me. I know I am not your favorite person but I am here." Alana answers.

"I just hate seeing her like this. She is so frail, so tired. She was always this feisty woman, who took care of everyone." Sr. states.

"I know it's hard on everyone. I am sure it's not better for her, we need to be strong in front of her. Thomas is so worn down by this also, I never have seen him this way before." Alana admits.

"He is here every day, he spends as much time with her as he can. He is a good son, a good person, but you know that. He accepts things he shouldn't, and forgives." Sr. states.

"Thomas is a good man, we all make mistakes, and learn from them. You ought to know that Sr. None of us here are innocent." Alana comments.

"True, very true." Sr. answers.

"What do you need me to do for you while I am here?" Alana asks.

"If you can kindly make her some lunch? That would be great. I would like to take a nap, so you just spending time with her would be great." Sr. replies.

"You got it, take your nap, You need some rest as well," Alana says.

"Thank you. I will." Sr. answers.

Alana knows that Sr. knows about the past, she knew Thomas would need someone to talk to, and Sr. would be that person. Even though Sr. was an ass Thomas always confided in him. They had a love-hate relationship. At this point, it really didn't matter who knew, it was over so many years ago. She just knew it was something she would always have to live with. It always came back to haunt her. It got old after awhile.

Alana makes some lunch, and takes it up to Loren's room, seeing her just laying in bed, quietly. The nurse sitting in the chair. There was this eerie stillness in the room, that was unnerving. Alana knew that stillness, very well. She saw it time and time again at the vet when a pet was being put down. It was even more sad and aweful to see for a human being. How the life inside them just dims and goes out.

Alana walks over to Loren, taking a seat on the bed and placeing the lunch tray there.

"How are you feeling?" Alana asks.

"Like a train hit me, other wise good. And you?" Loren says.

"I'm ok. I brought you some lunch, and I can spend some time with your this afternoon, if you would like?" Alana asks.

"That sounds nice. I see you are making an effort for Thomas. That is good to see." Loren responds.

"Yes, I want to help him and do all i can for him, and for you." Alana replies.

"I am glad you and my son, are still together. I know he loves you very much. You two had ups and downs but you made it through it all, its great to see that. It doesn't happen too often." Loren comments.

"We try. You know marriage is hard." Alana states.

"Hell, Do i know that. Being with the same person for 50 years is hard to do. You have history but some of it, you would rather forget. You grow apart, become different people and have different wants, its just now you are older and like your lifestyle so you stay." Loren admits.

"Unfortanly fear does get in the way of things. There is just a lot to really leaving someone, you knew all your life. But many do it without regrets." Alana answers.

"We didn't, we stayed. Do you regret it Alana?" Loren asks.

"Sometimes, but I know Thomas loves me and our family. He is stable, and gives our family everything it needs and wants. Sometimes you have to put your own desires away, and see what is right in front of you. What you really have, instead of what could be." Alana answers.

"Well, that is a good way of thinking about things. But what happens to you? Your wants? Your desires as you put it? How long can you put them away until they burst out again? Suffering for your family, is a noble gesture, but one that will get you no where in the end. You need to be happy, truley happy with who you are with, and where you are at. Remember that." Loren says.

"I will. I think that is the first deep conversation we ever had." Alana admits.

"I see alot now, that i havent before. My son is a lot like me, wanting to keep things stable and quiet. But i see your side also, my son wasnt always the best husband and father, it took alot for him to wise up. I am just glad he did, and didn't wind up like his father. I just worry about you as you grow old, the regrets will settle in, and in the end you will only hate him, for tieing you down to something you really didnt want." Loren comments.

"Sometimes you just have to live with the choices you made. And take the happyiness you have." Alana replies.

"We already did that, and look where it got us?" Loren states.