Chapter twentyfour

Chapter 24

The next day, Alana isn't really happy with having to go to her in-laws. She has been keeping the family Sunday dinners all these years. In the last few weeks, she has stayed away and she had to admit, her Sunday alone was so much better Vs, going there to there crazy dinners. Her mother in law was always quiet around her unless she wanted to put her two sense in something.

She would always make sure, things would work out for her son, and go the way she wanted them to. They were a very controlling type of family. Alana wasn't into being with them anymore. She was breaking free from everything that was bringing her down.

Alana enjoyed her Sunday's alone, running a few errands, making some meals for the week, and doing things she needed to do. Then taking a long hot bath and relaxing before the work week started. Just for today, she would do as he asked and go there, pretending everything was great.

She knew she had to keep things calm, and lately, she wasn't she couldn't help but lash out at him. It hurt her deep inside with the words he said the night at the hotel. That slap she would never forget. It was something she didn't think she would ever get over.

Their marriage had their own problems, way before Alana ever met Luke. He just made her see, that what she wanted was out there, and it wasn't all about the sex. That was just a small part, she saw that someone could take an interest in her, be part of her life the way they should be. Share things, and connect. Also seeing that Luke listened, and didn't think things she wanted were stupid or made up. They were real, and he would want to try to give them to her. Just she wasn't sure where that was headed, or if it was even headed anywhere now. She just had to focus on the things she wanted and try to make herself happy.

Her, Thomas, and Tommy get into the car and head to her in-law's house. When they get there the old man is in his recliner watching the news, and Thomas's mother is in the kitchen. As always, the same thing for the last fifteen years.

Alana knew the drill, she would have to go into the kitchen and help her with the dinner, or she would make a stink that she didn't. Then when you would ask to help, you didn't do it right. It was another reason, Alana hated to be here, yet here she was trying to keep the peace.

Alana goes into the kitchen, seeing her sister in law Nicole, and her boyfriend Robert. Nicole was a tall chunky, brown hair and brown eyes woman. She was Thomas's younger sister by two years. Robert was around 5"8 with brown hair and hazel eyes. They have been dating for the last three years. Thomas's parents didn't like him either. They didn't really like anyone. It was odd to see him here, so you knew they had to tell you something anytime he was here today. He normally was smart enough to stay away, and Nicole understood and would pretty much stay away as well. Not needing the drama her parents brought her.

Robert says hello, and walks into the living room, to watch the news with the guys, as the women, help with dinner.

"Well, it's nice to see you showed up today," Loren says.

"I have been busy with other things." Alana answers.

"Yes, I heard you went back to work. Is it really all that important? Tommy is still a child, you should be home with him." Loren states.

"He is fourteen, he isn't a baby. I enjoy working, its something I wanted to do for a long time." Alana replies.

"Oh, you women and your careers. Staying home with your child is just as important." Loren responds.

"I know, and I have done that. Now I want the other. I am still there when he needs me." Alana states.

"If you say so. And for your Nicole, why is Robert here today? He never comes, and to be honest I prefer it." Loren comments.

"Mother please, why must you be this way? He is trying, I am not sure why you have to always do this. You do it to anyone I bring home." Nicole states.

"He is a loser, you know it, your just too use to him to let go." Loren answers.

"That's your opinion, not the truth," Nicole replies.

"You just don't want to listen to reason. You will, but when it's too late." Loren responds.

"This is exactly why I hate coming here! You always do this, you make everyone miserable just because you are." Nicole snaps walking away going to the bathroom.

Alana just keeps fixing the salad for dinner, everything Nicole said was true. She was the only one in the family that was half decent. She knew what your parents were, and she didn't mind telling them off.