Chapter two

Chapter 2

One day while Alana is getting breakfast ready for her family, her husband Thomas comes downstairs quickly to grab his toast and coffee.

"I see you are off again, how many days this time?" Alana asks.

"Three, I will be back for the weekend. They have me going to Dallas, I have a lot on my plate right now." Thomas answers.

"You always seem to, its nothing new," Alana replies.

"Please don't start this again. You know I have to work, I enjoy my job and the travel it brings me. I have gotten to see a lot due to it." Thomas answers.

"Yes, as you always remind me. You get to see things, while I stay home, and don't." Alana states.

"You would be bored to death anything, you wouldn't like any of the conferences. Hell, I hate that part of all this, it's boring, I wouldn't be able to spend much time with you anyway. It would be a waste of time. Maybe we will do something when I get back?" Thomas says.

"Whatever, I don't even know why after all these years it matters," Alana responds.

"I hate when you get pissy about these things. You always make a big deal out of it for nothing. By now you should be used to it, you don't spend that much time with me when I am home anyway. We are always off doing our own thing. It just seems that why I say I have to go away you start this shit again." Thomas spats.

"I dislike going to events alone, half the people at our son's school don't even know who his father is, or if he even has one. I am the one to go to all the events." Alana yells.

"It's a mother thing anyway. I am sure you don't see that many fathers there. Tommy understands I don't know why you don't. I think you just like to fight over the same thing over and over again." Thomas comments.

"Or maybe I want things to change? Have you ever thought about that?" Alana says.

"Fine, when I get back we will see. I don't want to fight, I have to go before I miss my flight." Thomas answers, kissing her on her cheek as he walks out the door.

Alana just thinks yea right, things never change. His traveling has gotten worse over the years instead of better. At the start, she was left alone with an infant having to deal with it all on her own. That didn't change much, she did most of the everyday things on her own. She knew Thomas loved their son, he would spend all the time he could with him when he was home. Being an attentive father just not an attentive husband.

She knew he was right in a way, all these years, she should be over it by now. Why even ask? Why even care? Things were not changing, Thomas, was Thomas. He was happy with the way things were, it was the same way if she asked about trying something new in bed. She would just get an argument.

As she is thinking about all this, her son comes downstairs getting ready to go to school. All in a huff and a puff.

"What's wrong my sweet boy?" Alana asks.

"My computer isn't working right. I saved my work for school on it, but it has frozen and I tried to reboot and it won't go. I don't know what to do. The report is due later this week." Tommy states.

"Ok, don't panic, after work, I will see what I can do. I can even ask Judy if she knows. I am sure we can fix it. It might be nothing." Alana responds.

"I hope so, I don't feel like redoing this. I had it all done and ready. I wanted to save and then print it. It just froze and I couldn't." Tommy says.

"I understand, I have been there. Just leave the computer on the table and I will take a look at it for you later. You get off to school, before your late. I will see you later. Pizza good for dinner?" Alana asks.

"Yea that's fine mom. Thank you." Tommy replies.

"No problem. I love you, have a good day." Alana says as Tommy goes through the door.

"You too mom." He answers.

Alana gets her lunch and heads out the door herself, walking to work. She loves where she worked, she just loved animals. Helping them made her the happiest, it's what she always wanted to do, now finally being able to do it. She was glad even for just working at the Vet part-time, it was better than nothing to her. In the past she just got to watch Judy work there and stand on the sidelines, not she got to get her hands dirty and help. At least one part of her life was going the way she wanted it to.