Chapter forty two

Chapter 42

The week flys by, now being Thanksgiving day. Alana isn't feeling that much better, but she is trying her best to move on. They talked once this week, and it was for a few hours. She now takes what she can get, knowing he is probably having second thoughts. She asks him what is wrong and he just puts it on he wasn't feeling well, or he was tired from work. She knows that when this first started it didn't matter how tired he was, he always had time for her. She just keeps her thoughts to herself, as she always has. She felt at least a friendship was better than nothing. They were both in a situation and wasn't free. Plus he told her from the start he loved his wife, she just hoped for some reason his feelings for her would win out, it just seemed they didn't.

Alana gets up early, going downstairs, putting the turkey in the oven, and getting the table ready for dinner. In a way, today's dinner did take her mind off of things, which was good. It got old trying to figure out how someone else was thinking and feeling. It was time to move on and Alana was going to do just that today.

She goes into the kitchen getting everything ready like she did every Thanksgiving. Thomas was right when he said she loved this day and to show off her cooking skills. She would always have new recipes of what she was planning for dinner weeks ahead of time.

This year wasn't like that but she would make sure it was all good and everything was in place. When midafternoon comes, the doorbell rings, and its Alana's mother and father. Camila and Joe, they were a bit different than Thomas's parents. They were not control freaks, and they had a bit more than they did. They also didn't think they were better than others, but they did love to cut up Thomas's family. It was something they looked forward to every year.

Camila was a tall short-haired blonde with brown eyes, and Joe was a short round man with salt and pepper hair with blue eyes. Thomas gets the door, letting them in, Joe goes to watch the parade with Thomas, and Camila goes into the kitchen with Alana.

"Hey sweety, Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for having us over." Camila says.

"No problem mom, Happy Thanksgiving. Just take a seat as I get this into the oven." Alana answers.

"Sounds good, I will pour myself a glass of wine. How have you been? I see the in-laws are not here yet." Camila states.

"I am pretty good, just been busy with work. I also did want to say that I will not be doing the Thanksgiving dinner after this year. I am a bit tired of it."Alana reveals.

"I am not sure what has taken you so long. His whole tribe comes over here, pushing their weight around. I was wondering when you would get tired. What are you planning for the following year?" Camila asks.

"I don't really care about them, or what they do. I just don't want to do this anymore. I think we should go out for dinner. Maybe me Thomas, Tommy, and you and dad. I think it would be so much nicer." Alana comments.

"What did Thomas think about this? Where does that leave his family?" Camila asks.

"Thomas wasn't very happy, but then lately he hasn't been with anything. He doesn't like me growing up and being myself. He is still stuck in the old ways, and those are long gone. For his parents I really don't care, they can get together with other family members or go out to dinner with us." Alana states.

"You have changed a lot Alana, in the last few months. Has something changed you? I think it's great your becoming what you always wanted. I know you love to work with animals, it was your dream from when you were a little girl. I hated when you gave it up for Thomas. It just seems that you are changing in a lot of ways, not only working." Camila replies.

"I do love working at the vet. I may even want to go back to school and become a veterinarian. I have been thinking about it for a while. When I am out in the real world I see so much, how others live. How other relationships work. There were a lot of things I wanted that Thomas can not give me." Alana admits.

"That doesn't surprise me, darling. Thomas isn't one for a lot of things. You really can't blame him, I blame his parents. It's what they taught him. He is pretty much set in his ways. He is a good man, just always in control of things. I think you see that a lot more now that you're older. You didn't see it before, you were too in love. Too blindfolded." Camila confesses.

"I was happy with things for a while, just as I got older, things changed. I wanted him to change with me, but he doesn't seem willing, and to be honest, now I don't want him to. I am over it. I have just been going about my life in the last few months as if he isn't part of it. Just like I should have before instead of begging for his attention. I find myself a lot happier, a lot freer." Alana admits.

"Has he ever tried to change even a little bit? Its good you are independent without him, just if you get too far away, there is no use for him or for even being married to him." Camila responds.

"Yea, after a few blunders he wanted to try, I just am not into it. If I am honest, we were always like this mom. I just didn't want to see or admit it. He is only here when it suits him, otherwise, his job gets all his attention. I am just finally getting my own life without him." Alana comments.

"Alana I am going to ask you something, and I want you to be honest with me. Is there someone else? The way you're talking, you could care less about Thomas, and it's just not because of work." Camila announces.

"I have a friend but I don't think that is going anywhere either. It's just friends and I am not even sure how much longer that will be." Alana reveals.

"I thought so. Anything I should know happened?" Camila asks.

"No, we never even met in person. It's just a friendship online. He is married to, which makes things complicated. He has no intention of leaving his wife, as I don't Thomas." Alana admits.

"I have to say, I am a bit shocked. I never thought you would even think about it." Camila states.

"It was tempting, things are very different with him in every way. It's really nice but it's just wishful thinking. Nothing more." Alana answers.

"You will tell me if that changes?" Camila asks.

"Of course," Alana says.

"Whatever you do, don't get caught. Thomas will never let you live it down, even if you meet as friends. Thomas doesn't like that kind of stuff. I doubt he would leave you, for many reasons but he would torture you because of it." Camila confesses.

"Ohh, I know that already. " Alana answers.

Alana and her mother get the rest of the dinner ready, with Thomas's family arriving. His parents, sister, and her husband and even his father's brother and wife. The gang was here. For the most part, everything goes well. Dinner is a huge success as it is every year, and no one knows the better. Alana acts as if nothing is wrong, and all is perfect. They were a happy family, perfect in every way, so all thought. When it was further than the truth.

Alana feels better talking to her mother and letting it out. She also played everything down, in case he didn't come back she didn't look like a total fool, which she already felt inside.

Her mother doesn't really know what to think, she knew she couldn't tell her not to go forward, she wasn't a child anymore. She also knew that Thomas held her down for too long, keeping her sheltered and under lock and key. Now she was learning new things and wanting new things. Thomas was either going to have to go along with it or move on. Camila didn't see this going well if Alana went through with it. There were too many things that could happen. Most not the best for Thomas.

No matter what he would be the one getting cheated on, and if feelings grew, he would be in even deeper shit.