"Look! Stars!"

ᑕᕼᗩᑭTE 169
[Liam]

New Year was fantastic. Zayn's reaction to seeing fireworks for the first time was better than the fireworks themselves.

It started around 10 p.m when Zayn was actually supposed to be in bed. However, the boys let it slide. He was going to start kindergarten again soon, so they would have to fix his routine anyway.

Zayn had been running around laughing, Liam's phone in hand. He insisted that since Liam hadn't been listening to him, he was going to take his phone away. The first firework resounded and Zayn jumped, dropping Liam's phone in surprise.

Liam grabbed his phone and pocketed it quickly. He had been scrolling through social media, and he had been half listening to Zayn talking about the new episode of Ben 10. Another bang resounded, and Louis yelled from the kitchen. "Why can't they wait two hours?"

Zayn's lower lip trembled and he ran over to Liam, burying his face in his stomach. Liam sat down and pried Zayn gently away. "Hey, Zaynie, it's not dangerous. It's fireworks."

Zayn tilted his head in confusion. "Fiwre? But fiwre dang-wrous Liam, it can make burn," he chided, shaking his head as if Liam was the uneducated one.

Liam let out a laugh and picked him up. The fireworks had stopped. "You'll see in two hours."

At midnight, the boys had all crowded the balcony. Harry had decided to barbeque because he felt like it, and Louis now handed out beers. The weather was chilly, but bearable. Zayn had been sleepy, but at the sound of the fireworks, his eyes had widened.

He now leaned against the balcony railing, body stuffed in a snowsuit Louis had bought in Doncaster.  His cheeks were flushed, whether from the cold or the excitement, Liam wasnt sure. As the fireworks started, Zayn gasped. "Liam! Liam! Look! Stars!"

Harry chuckled as he flipped over a chicken on the grill. "Fireworks, Zayn."

Zayn's hazel eyes were alight with suspense as he heard another noise, and he waited for the shower of colours, his mittened hands grabbing the railing in excitement. And then it happened.

Zayn squealed. "Look! It's gold and wred and blue and-" cue another gasp. "It's gone!"

Niall laughed and picked him up. "Let's get a better look."

He placed Zayn on his shoulders which made the boy laugh. Liam pulled his phone out and snapped a picture of them, making sure to capture the fireworks that lighted the night sky behind.

"We should have bought fireworks," Louis whined, taking a huge sip from his beer. He grinned. "Next year, let's buy some fireworks. Won't that be cool, Zayn?"

But Zayn was way too busy watching the sky shoot up in colours. He'd winced at first at the loud sounds, but he seemed to have grown comfortable with it.

Liam couldn't help but smile widely. Their first Christmas with Zayn hadn't been together, but he was glad their New Years was together.

He knew he'd cherish this memory for years. Harry being their chef on the grill, Louis drinking beer and helping them, Niall and Zayn talking while Zayn was perched on his shoulders excitedly, his eyes glinting with the colours of the sky,  happy smile on his face.

↠↠↠↠↠↠↠↠

The next morning was less satisfactory. It was a hectic morning to say the least. The living room was a mess and the kitchen was in no good shape either. And Zayn's social worker was coming over. The boys tried to clean up as much as possible.