"But I saw hand"

ᑕᕼᗩᑭTE 157
[Zayn]

The door was flung open and light spilled into the room. Someone turned the lights on and Zayn squinted from under the covers. Paranoia had taken in him. Was Vilgax attacking Don the Castew? Maybe it was an alien, an angry alien who wanted to get to him but couldn't because the window was closed. Flashes shone behind Zayn's eyes of an angry man threatening to hurt him. His dad? he recalled. Or maybe it was his dad. Maybe his dad had come back to take him from the boys?

Zayn squeezed his eyes shut even as he felt the covers being pried slowly out of his hands. "Don't take me," he whispered. "Ben 10 my fwiend," He threatened.

"Hey, it's us," Louis said softly and Zayn let out a breath of relief. He threw the covers off and threw himself on Louis. "Louis someone come on the- on the window and and thewre was a a hand and hand made noise and I got scawed because it come to take me," Zayn said urgently. He spoke fast, hands moving around in gesticulation, his expressions in a frenzy.

Louis and Harry both sat opposite him and they listened carefully. Johanna stood by the door, and she was listening too.

"There was a noise?" Louis gathered. "And a hand?"

"On the window?" Harry wondered, standing up to go check the window. He opened it and Zayn could hear the light patter of rain alongside the swoosh of the wind from outside.

"It was probably just the rain, buddy," Louis told him, lifting him up to place a kiss on his cheeks. "Nothing to worry about," he soothed him, rubbing his back. Zayn buried his face in Louis' neck, feeling himself calm down. "But I saw hand," he said confusedly, pulling back a moment later.

Harry walked away from the window to pull him into his arms. "Let's take a look." He took Zayn to the window so Zayn could see for himself that there was nothing there. And indeed, there was no one.

"We're on the second floor, sweetheart, no one can come to your window," Johannah said gently. "Do you want me to bring you some milk and honey?"

Zayn nodded, burying his face in Harry's neck this time. "Yeah," he mumbled.

Harry sat down on the bed with Zayn in his arms, and Louis went to shut the light. When he returned, Zayn felt himself no longer afraid even when the lights were off. The noise had disappeared, the boys were here, he was safe.

Suddenly, a familiar thump and a screeching sound made Zayn jump. "It's the hand!" he yelled and ducked under the covers, tugging on Harry's hand so that he could join him. Zayn felt Louis mumble something as he stood up, so he peeked over the covers. Zayn's eyes widened and tears pushed behind them as he pointed at the shadow of a hand that was displayed on the window. "Hawry look!" He whispered.

Louis crossed his arms as he stared at the window and he went over to open it.

"Louis no, it take you!" Zayn yelled loudly.

Louis opened the window and started chuckling. "It's a branch, buddy. Look." He pulled the branch far enough inside so that Zayn could see. "Whenever the wind whips, the branch crashes into the window and skids then back."

Zayn lifted his head fully, curiously looking at the branch in Louis' hand. "It's not hand, it's a twree," he told himself. Harry smiled and stroke his head. "That's right, now why don't you go back to bed?"