"Am shtill fweezing"

Chapter 11
{Liam}

"He's really burning up." Liam said worriedly, his hand placed on Zayn's forehead. The lad had fallen asleep again, and he was now breathing heavily, his head resting on Liam's lap. "I know." Harry said, biting his lip. "Maybe the medicine will take time to kick in? Dunno."
Louis's brows furrowed. "When Phoebe was little and she became sick, we usually placed a cold cloth to cool her down."
Niall clicked his fingers. "We used to do tha-a-a-choo!" he wiped his nose with his sleeve, sniffling.
"I'll find a cloth and get some water." Harry said. He stood up and disappeared in the kitchen. Zayn shivered and Niall gave him one of his own blankets, wrapping it around the toddler tightly. Zayn scowled in his sleep, his bottom lip forming a pout. "Is he dreaming again?" Louis asked. Liam nodded slowly. "I think so. This is the second time he's having a nightmare."
"Third." Louis mumbled. "One was when he screamed when he woke up."

Liam's eyes widened. "He was having a nightmare then too?"
Louis shrugged. "I think so. It seemed like it."
Zayn shivered again and he clenched his teeth together. Liam rubbed the lad's arms, the heat radiating off from his pj's. "We should take him upstairs." Niall said. "He'll be comfier and warmer under the duvet."
"He can sleep in my bed." Liam said, gently lifting Zayn up. Louis stood up to follow, but he tripped over something. The lad bent down and picked up Zayn's stuffed animal, Ziam, a smile on his lips. Harry made his way towards them, a bowl and a white little hand towel in hand.
They climbed up the stairs, and Zayn clutched Liam tightly in his sleep. Niall pushed the door open with his shoulder. The blankets he had were wrapped tightly around his shoulders.
Liam lay Zayn gently on his bed, the toddler freezing uncontrollably. Louis frowned. "He's so hot, how can he freeze?"
Niall wiped his stuffed nose. "It's called a feber."

Liam pulled the duvet over Zayn, and Harry placed the bowl on the sidetable, dipping the towel in it.
"Soooo." Louis said. Liam raised an eyebrow. "What's wrong?"
Louis scratched the back of his neck. "We take off the shirt too, but Zayn doesn't like it if someone sees him change."
Liam had to admit, he felt curious. Zayn always pushed himself away from the boys. He was shy, and afraid that they would hurt him.
"But we have to, he has a feber." Niall said, sniffling.
Harry nodded, pulling the sweaty shirt above the toddler's head. Zayn didn't as much as stir in his sleep, only scowling as his body shivered.
Harry began to place the wet cloth on Zayn's forehead, pressing it gently. A small moan escaped the toddler's lips and he turned to the left. Harry was about to turn him back, but Louis stopped him.

"Wait." his hands reached out to touch Zayn's back, and that's when Liam noticed it. Faint marks. Scar marks and red marks. Louis's face consorted in anger, and Liam felt the same on the inside. He clenched his jaw, glancing at the innocent toddler who was fast asleep. Harry swallowed hardly, turning Zayn onto his back.
"That's probably why he doesn't allow any of us to see him change." Niall mumbled.
Liam nodded sadly, and Harry continued pressing the cloth to Zayn's forehead. The boys were a little silent after that, their thoughts in another place.

🍼🍼🍼🍼Zayn🍼🍼🍼🍼
Zayn's eyes fluttered open and he squinted as harsh light blinded him. "He's awake." someone whispered. "We know, captain obvious." Louis rolled his eyes.
The first thing Zayn noticed was how hot it was, and how sweaty he was. The second? He didn't have his shirt on. Zayn's eyes widened, instinctively pulling the duvet up to his face. Had the boys seen them? The marks on his back? Zayn bit his lip. If they had, what were they going to do? Would they think he's pathetic? Would they send him back?
Zayn hated to think that he would go back. H'd started to like it here, a bit. Okay, maybe he'd started liking it here a lot. But he would have to get away if they didn't want him.
If there was one thing he'd learned it was that people tend to do mean things when they don't want you. That's why dad hit me, Zayn thought. He didn't want me.
A pair of hands pulled the duvet down to his shoulders, and Liam smiled at him. Harry placed something on Zayn's forehead, and the toddler enjoyed the coldness it brought. He felt like a heater, sweating uncontrollably.

"A-a-choo!" Zayn jumped, glancing on his right to see Naill wiping his nose. "Shorry." he muttered.
"Are you feeling better?" Louis asked, sitting down on the bed. Zayn shrugged, keeping his gaze low. The warmth was irritating and he wanted to take a bath, he hadn't taken one since he'd left the adoption centre. "Am shweatting."
"It's good though." Niall said with a smile. "Your fever will end soon then."
Zayn didn't answer. Instead, he looked around until his gaze fell on his shirt lying by Niall's legs. Louis followed to where he was looking and grabbed the shirt.
"Am fweezing." Zayn lied.
"Oh." Louis said, pulling the duvet over him. Zayn bit his lip. "Am shtill fweezing."
Liam shook his head and snatched the shirt from Louis. He was about to pull it over the toddler's head, but Zayn stopped him. "Jayn can change by himshelf." he grabbed the shirt and pulled it over his head and down his bare stomach.

🎤🎤🎤🎤Liam🎤🎤🎤🎤
It had been a few hours since Zayn had woken up, and after making sure he was okay, Liam had decided to go to the gym. He hadn't been there in a few week, and he needed to take his mind off of things. As he punched the boxing bag in front of him, sweat running down his neck, the recent events replayed through his mind.
Zayn had dreams. Zayn was shy. Zayn was afraid. Zayn had marks on his back. Zayn had been abused when he was little. Zayn liked comic books. Zayn liked art. Zayn-
Liam chuckled to himself, pausing to catch his breath. His thoughts had changed from information about the boy to everything about him. He was just too cute and innocent, his stubbornness coo-worthy. Liam heard a few footsteps approach and he glanced in the doorway to see Zayn who trudged towards him. Honestly, the little guy could be mistaken for a two-year old anytime. The thought made Liam angry.
Zayn's eyes widened as he realized where he had ended up, and those brown orbs darted to the punching bag, then to Liam. Eventually, his gaze fell upon Liam's toned stomach, and to say the least, Liam felt a bit uncomfortable.
He sure didn't want to be looked upon as a scary macho guy, because that was exactly the look Zayn was giving him.

Liam grabbed his t-shirt and pulled it over his head. He grabbed his towel and wiped the sweat from his face and neck, letting it rest on his shoulders.
"What do ywou do in hewe?" Zayn asked curiously, his orbs darting from one machine to another. "I train." Liam replied, watching intently as to what the toddler was going to do. "Weren't you with the others?"
Zayn shrugged. "Nawiall is tawking about football with Loueh. It'sh bowing." he trotted over to one of the weights, staring intently at the heavy thing. "What about Harry?"
"He left to dwo shomething."
"How are you feeling?" Liam asked, taking off his other boxing glove.
Zayn shrugged again. "Am owkay." the toddler walked over to Liam's discarded boxing gloves that were lying in a box. "Bowed."
"What do you want to do?" Liam asked, chuckling at how curious the three year old was.
Zayn shrugged for the third time. "Down't know."
"Oh, I have an idea." Liam said, grabbing the toddler's hand in excitement.

He led Zayn to the rec. room where they usually rehearsed. Liam let go of Zayn's hand, and that's when he realized that the toddler hadn't pulled back, or attempted to.
Liam walked over to where Niall had his guitars, but decided against to let little Zayn play. He instead walked over to the piano and sat down, gesturing for Zayn to follow his lead. Zayn trudged over to him, his hazel eyes scanning the grand piano. "It's a piano." Liam explained.
Zayn huffed. "Jayn knowsh dat." he climbed up and sat down beside Liam. Liam began to play on the keys, his hand moving as to how Louis had taught him years ago. He occasionally glanced at Zayn to see the toddler's eyes wide in awe.
"You like music?" Liam asked. Zayn nodded slowly. Liam smiled at him. "Do you like any instruments?"
Zayn's eyes lit up and he nodded. "I can play da twiangle!"
Liam laughed, ruffling the toddler's hair. "I'll see if we have any triangles."

<><><><>A/N<><><><>
Yay, how was the chapter? Don't forget to vote since I've submitted this story in the Wattys!
By the way, how is it going so far? Any thoughts?
This chapter is dedicated to srm1DAF for commenting!
Also, thank you guys for all the sweet wishes, my finger is much better and that's also the reason why I'll maybe do a double update!

xx