"He gonna do magic again"

Chapter 96
{Louis}

Louis tried to keep up with Matt's story, something about how he fell from the stairs once, but his mind was occupied with other things. Simon had called to tell them to book free next Tuesday. They would be appearing on a talk show to promote the new album. The fact that Pete hadn't been the one to call was weird. Simon didn't often call one of them just to give information. And then Simon's reactions had been off when Louis explained to him that he was in kindergarten with Zayn.

Louis ran a hand through his hair, feeling his worry grow. Simon had acted completely weird, saying things like 'this early?' and 'it's settled then'. Now, the even weirder part came: he wanted Louis to meet up immediately. As on right now in this moment.

Clearly, Zayn had refused to let him go so Louis called Harry, and he was on his way to Simon already. Why a meeting so suddenly?

"Loueh," Zayn whispered, eyes darting over to Matt. Louis pushed his own inquisitive thoughts away. "Hmm?"

"Jayn finish food," he said, pointing to the empty lunchbox. The kid could go from frightened to curious to adorable in a matter of seconds. His hazel eyes skimmed around the room and Louis smiled, leaning forward as well. "What do you what to do?" he whispered back.

Zayn shrugged, looking at someone on another table. Louis turned to where he was looking and saw a few girls and boys sitting on a yellow table, talking loudly.

"Loueh! You'we not listening," Matt said, huffing. Louis smiled at him. "No, no I was. What are we going to do after we eat?"

"Well, Carly reads for us," the black haired boy (whose name was either Sam or Steve) explained.

"That ought to be exciting," Louis said, grinning at Zayn. But Zayn wasn't grinning back, only looking gloomily down at his sneakers. "Jayn wanna go home."

Louis' smile dropped and he sighed, disappointed that Zayn still seemed to show no interest. How would he be here alone for so many hours?

"We don't go home now, silly," Matt said, pointing to a girl around eighteen sitting with a few kids. "We awe going to listen to Magichan with the magic wand."

"It'sh weally inteweshting," Eric piped up. Zayn looked at Carly curiously. "A story about magicians seems so cool," Louis added, looking at Zayn. "Dontcha think, Zayn?"

Zayn shrugged again, slumping on his chair as he waited.

Half an hour later, everyone had finished their lunch and were now gathered on the carpeted floor in a large room. Many were lying on pillows, forming a half circle towards an armchair. The teenager, Carly, sat down with a large red book.

"Loueh, shit," Zayn said, patting the space beside him. Louis coughed, looking around to see if anyone thought he was cursing. On the other hand, everyone here might be familiar with the children babbling shut everyday. Louis crossed his legs as he sat down beside Zayn, waiting for boredom to envelop him. Zayn was sitting with Eric on the other side, but didn't seem interested in striking up a conversation. Actually, Zayn hadn't said anything at all to the other kids unless he was spoken to.

He leaned forward and poked Louis' ankles that were sticking out from under his jeans. "Jayn want to go play with toys. Toysh awe cool."

"I promise we can go play with the toys after this. Listen," Louis whispered, nodding at Carly. Zayn eventually began to pay attention, finally seeming interested in something. While the kids were focusing on Carly, Louis pulled his phone out and sent a quick text to Harry.

: what did he want? Everything okay?

Seconds later, his phone vibrated, the sound off.

: I think so, I don't really know. It's confusing.