"Jayn hate you"

Chapter 70
{Niall}

After several minutes of sticking the key inside the hole, Louis managed to put extra pressure as he rattled the lock. They heard the other key fall to the floor inside the room and he pushed the door open. Niall's heart softened when his eyes landed on the curled up boy on the bed. He was hugging Ziam tightly, body pulled towards himself. Niall walked forward and sat down by the bed. "Zayn?"

Zayn didn't answer. Niall gently took Ziam away from the toddler's grasp and revealed a sleeping Zayn, eyes closed and lips parted slightly. "He's asleep," he informed the others.

"He must've heard what you guys said," Gemma said, her tone accusing. Liam sighed, his face sad. "We didn't want him to hear it. It's just, there are times like these which makes me think...wouldn't he be better off with real foster parents?"

"Stop thinking like that," Louis mumbled, placing a soft kiss to Zayn's forehead. "You're making me unsure."

Liam looked mad now. "We didn't want this in the first place, remember? Responsibility of another life. What if we're messing up both our lives and his?"

Harry sighed, shoulders slouching. Anne placed her hand on his shoulders and squeezed them reassuringly. "I don't think that's you four's decision to make. Louis is right, he seems happy. It will crush his heart if you send him away."

"I know," Liam muttered with a sigh. Harry walked over and draped the duvet over the toddler's tiny frame, leaving a gentle kiss to his head. "Come on, let's go."

Niall's heart sank and he sighed, standing up. He leaned forward and left a kiss on Zayn's cheek and Zayn frowned in his sleep. Niall wiped the toddler's wet cheeks and stood up. His hands brushed something edgy and he glanced down. Gemma and Anne had left, the boys following them. Harry stood at the door. "Niall, you coming?"

"Yeah, I'll be in a minute," Niall replied absentmindedly as he pulled the faded old photo from under the pillow. He heard the door shut close as he turned it over. Surprise took over his features as he stared at the family. A couple were standing in front of a park, their smiles matching happily. In front of the man was a girl around 10 years old, grinning widely. She was holding a one year old in her arms and Niall recognized the toothy grin immediately. This was Zayn's family. Or what was left of it. Apparently, his mother had died and his father was in jail for having abused him. Niall's heart warmed at the sight. He couldn't imagine what broke such a beautiful family apart, and how such a young soul had to endure it. His thumb rubbed against the tape over Zayn's face, smiling at the one year old. He'd always been so cute it seemed.

Zayn shifted in his sleep, hand coming up to scratch his nose. Niall smiled one last time at the photo before placing it back under the toddler's pillow. Zayn didn't need a pair to keep him happy when he had someone to spoil him, someone to play with, someone to watch cartoon movies with, someone who'd love him more than his father ever could. Niall wiped the slight moisture from his eyes. The four of them would be that someone.

<><><><><><>

"This is delicious," Liam praised, wiping the sauce off the corner of his mouth. Maria smiled at him. "Thank you, dear.

Harry invited her over to sit down with them and eat, and Niall noticed there was one extra plate. "Hey, shouldn't we wake Zayn up?"

"It's about time though, considering he's been sleeping quite some time," Anne said, glancing at her wrist watch. "Or else he'll have problems sleeping  tonight. Who can go and wake him up?"