"Jayn don't have fwiendsh"

Chapter 97
{Niall}

Zayn gulped down the milk, small hands holding the glass tightly. Once he finished his glass of milk, he burped lightly and wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. Niall chuckled tiredly as he drank his cup of coffee, feeling drained of all energy. He'd been up late with Louis watching the match that would lead the winning team to the finals, and they had trashed the living room with junk food.

"Football season?" Maria asked humorously as she picked up Zayn's empty plate and glass. Niall nodded to her and ran a hand through his hair in order to tame it. "Ready to go, kiddo?" he asked Zayn who was rubbing his eyes with his fists. "No," the toddler mumbled.

"Why not?" Niall asked, taking a sip of his hot drink. It almost felt like his eyes were opening by themselves, the caffeine a soothing feeling in his tired body.

"Loueh not hewe," Zayn explained simply, wedging his hands under his thighs as he sat and waited. But Louis was asleep along with the other two boys, and Niall was going to be the one to drop Zayn off today, and maybe stay as well if needed.

"Louis' asleep so he won't be coming today, but that's okay because I'm right here," Niall told him with a smile. "I'll be with you if you want me to."

Zayn's eyes widened and he furrowed his brows. "But wake Loueh up! He have to come."

Niall would have gladly woken him up, but Louis had spent the night awake as well. And whereas Niall was going to spend the day catching on sleep and hitting the gym, Louis and Harry were going to meet up with Simon. Apparently there was something going on that the old man wasn't telling them (nothing new there).

"Louis is very tired so let's leave him to sleep," Niall suggested. "Don't you want me to come with you?"

"But you don't know kindewgawten," Zayn argued, upset.

Niall made a funny face. "I was there yesterday. You can introduce me to your friends today."

Zayn looked down at his lap. "Jayn don't have fwiendsh."

Since he didn't bring up about the boys Louis had talked about, Niall guessed Zayn would need some time to call them friends. He wondered if the kid had ever had friends before.

"Well, do you only have five friends then?" Niall asked, pointing to himself. "Us?"

"Yesh," Zayn confirmed. He then got deep into thought and Niall felt the utmost curiosity to know what what going on in that little head of his. "Now let'sh go wake Loueh up."

Niall pursed his lips, trying to find a way to make Zayn drop the idea. Luckily, Maria was right there to help him out.

"But then Louis won't be happy, would he Zayn? If someone woke you up and you were tired, would you be happy?" she asked pointedly.

Zayn pursed his lips into a pout as he fought an internal battle. Niall sipped his coffee and watched him with amused eyes as Zayn thought about the question.

"No, Jayn be bad mood," he summed up with a nod.

Niall sat his coffee down and gave a clap. "Let's go then, I'm excited to meet your friends."

Zayn shook his head as he slid off the chair. Just imaging that he had been unable to climb up on his own on one of these chairs, it gave Niall a feeling of awe. It was amazing how he was gaining height and weight. Niall tilted his head as he tried to compare Zayn with the Zayn from when they had adopted him. His cheeks had become chubbier, his hair was obviously longer now but that's  because he refused to cut it. He wasn't shy at all with them and he had even started showering without his underwear. He told them when he was feeling bored or wanted them to sleep with him. His dreams hadn't been a problem for weeks, which was extremely good, meaning he was getting better. Progress.