Chapter 196: A Dream

Start from the beginning

Feng Luodi looked around but she didn't see where she could place her guqin. Thus, she simply sat down and placed Sonorous on her knees with both her hands pressing on the zither strings. She didn't move for a long time.

"You can still change your decision now."

Phantom stood about fifty meters away from Feng Luodi, his voice as chilly as the frigid wind.

However, his words helped Feng Luodi harden her heart and proceed.

The sound of the guqin was as mellifluous as it had always been in the past. Yet, it was laden with grief and lingering with the pain of not able to wait for her lover as well as an unimaginable amount of desolateness in her heart.

Is it raining and misty in Jiangnan?

Is my lover on the other side of the shore?

Those zither strings were like knives, cutting her hands until they were bleeding but she didn't stop for a rest.

This was a tune she had memorised with her heart. It was the tune she brought from the 21st century and also the tune she used to gain fame in Chang'an. It was the tune that let her get acquainted with Situ and Jiang Moyin and also the tune that ended all her connections to the Xuan Kingdom.

When the piece ended, Feng Luodi lowered her head and was thinking about something while the surrounding scenery didn't change at all.

Only after a long time did Feng Luodi come back to her senses, she was about to stand up and ask Phantom how she could return to the 21st century when Phantom beat her to it and spoke, forcefully causing Feng Luodi to sit down again.

"Sorry, Luodi. I lied to you."

"Lied to me?" Feng Luodi looked at Phantom in astonishment. "What do you mean?"

Phantom was still standing at a distance which was neither too far nor too close to Feng Luodi. His voice was still icy-cold but the words he said sounded apologetic.

"From the very beginning, you already couldn't return to the 21st century."

"What?"

The hand Feng Luodi used to play the guqin plucked a string until it snapped, producing an ear-piercing sound.

Her thoughts were a mess. She had gone through great trouble in the last three years to find all the guqins. But, in the end, she was told that she couldn't go back and that everything was just her own delusions? Everything she had done turned out to be a joke...

"What's all this about?" Feng Luodi muttered.

Phantom tilted his head slightly and turned around to face Feng Luodi, speaking slowly but forcefully, "You were in a car accident in the 21st century and died on the spot. You weren't lying in the hospital in a vegetative state while receiving treatment. It has been almost three years and your parents have also long accepted your death. They're living very well now. You don't have to worry about that."

"But this isn't what you said back then."

Feng Luodi felt as if her heart was unceasingly being ripped apart, even though it had long being riddled with gaping wounds, it was still beating.

"You clearly told me that my life span had yet to end so I needed to go to another dimension to complete a mission, and once my body recovers, I would be able to go back."

Feng Luodi was unwilling to bring herself to believe this truth no matter what. She even started to cast a resentful gaze at Phantom.

"I was lying to you about that," Phantom admitted to this matter calmly.