Chapter 81: The Kingdom of Yougu

The expedition team was fixed. Besides Cheng Shifei, Feng Luodi and Situ, twenty of the best soldiers and six of Situ's Covert Guards were to head into the maze, with the Covert Guards spearheading the team. Two thousand soldiers would be situated outside the maze, ready to support the team at any moment. Meanwhile, the rest of the army surrounded the entire maze, engaged in a stand-off with the armies from the other kingdoms.

The door to the maze opened in a cloud of dust, but the air behind it was fresher than expected. The team filed into the maze. Situ instructed Feng Luodi to stand behind him, and to not be more than three steps away at any moment.

A long tunnel stretched out ahead of them, and the Covert Guards led the way, with Cheng Shifei following closely behind them. Cheng Shifei paused the group at times, giving out specific instructions to the team to prevent the triggering of the traps. Whenever that happened, Feng Luodi would always gaze in amazement at his ability to sidestep the traps.

"It's just as if he's been here before!" Feng Luodi exclaimed.

Situ answered her quietly. "Shifei once said that all the traps and mechanisms in the world share the same roots, and are just different combinations of the same concepts. To him, every trap is nothing but an interesting challenge."

"He looks really happy!" The more Feng Luodi interacted with Cheng Shifei, the more she felt she understood the reason why Situ and his officers had such a strong bond. Cheng Shifei was more than an advisor. In the core of his being, he's every bit as adventurous and combative as Situ and Zhang Xin.

The team suddenly emerged into a large hall. The scene before them was a mixture of complicated carvings, luxurious furnishing, life-like statues and countless corpses. They stared aghast at the dried corpses that hung from the ceiling, swaying from side to side in the gusts of wind. It was inexplicable: how light and wind reached the depths of the maze despite it being buried under the sand.

Situ stepped forward, blocking the corpses from Feng Luodi's view. He commanded the team quickly.

"Search the area. See what you can find."

From the decay of the bodies, it was evident that the corpses had dried from the blowing of the desert wind. Their bodies were stretched longer than natural for a natural human being, evidence of their struggle against their demise. Feng Luodi held in her urge to puke, and forcefully turned her attention away from the corpses in the air. Looking around, she noticed something and moved to take a closer look.

"Are these...words? But I don't recognize them at all." Feng Luodi pointed at a group of pictures and words on the wall, half eaten away by the exposure to sun and wind.

"Let me see." Cheng Shifei stepped closer and waved a few soldiers over as well. "These aren't the characters of our language...but neither are they that of the other kingdoms. May it be the words of a lost civilization?"

Situ came over as well. "Are you sure that these are...words? Why do they look so curvy and squiggly?"

"I've seen such words before!" A soldier suddenly exclaimed. "My grandfather has the hobby of collecting old scriptures, and I've seen them in one of his books before. I've asked him about these words too, seeing as how they were different from any other words that I've seen before."

The soldier rubbed his temples, trying to recall his grandfather's words. "He said that...they were the words of the Yougu Kingdom."

"The Kingdom of Yougu?" Cheng Shifei was a man of the sword, but he was also very knowledgeable. Are you talking about the small kingdom that'd disappeared in a sandstorm two hundred years ago? It was said that some of its citizens had managed to escape into the neighboring kingdoms before its demise; I'll assume that these corpses are of those that did not."