Chapter 55: Chaos

"That makes him all the more suspicious." Situ did not even look up from his reports. "I want more eyes on that man. Check the background of everyone who enters the shop, and I mean the background of every single customer."

"Yes. General, something else came up in the search." The Guard hesitated, but continued. "We've observed a few men belonging to the Grand Tutor and the Heir snooping around the place as well."

"Let them be. Do not interact with their men." Situ put down the scripture he was reading. "Chase away any other agents you find during the search."

"Yes, General."

"Another thing," Situ thought about it for a second, and continued, "I want a check done on the men that can benefit from Chamberlain Feng's impeachment."

"Yes, General. We will see to it right away."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Your Majesty, the 7th Prince seeks your counsel. He is outside the hall." The royal attendants bowed to the Emperor and announced.

"What is he doing here at this time of the day?" The Emperor raised his head from the pile of scriptures on his desk. "Let him in."

"Long live the King! Your son humbly seeks your council."

"Rise, son. What brings you here today?" Faint traces of a smile appeared on the Emperor's face.

"I'm here to pay my respects to you, Father. Mother mentioned that you seemed to be heavily burdened lately, and I would like to do what I can to help relieve some of your stress." The usual arrogance and brusque attitude was gone from the prince's face.

"I'll take up your heartfelt offer then, son. Yours, the 8th prince, and the Heir's alike." The Emperor replied casually. "I do, in fact, have something troubling at hand. Perhaps you may be of assistance."

"Of course, Father."

"Many have petitioned lately to impeach Chamberlain Feng, on the grounds that he should pay for his daughter's crimes." The Emperor sighed. "I heard that the daughter of the Chamberlain had been caught smuggling salt into the capital, and it was only due to the insistence of the Administrator, the Duke of Anping and the Grand Tutor that the case has not been closed as of yet."

"What is troubling you then, Father?"

"Although there have been cases of officials being suspended due to the wrongdoings of their children, Chamberlain Feng is a capable man, and one that I trust." The Emperor rubbed his temples.

"It is the Chamberlain's honour to have you think so highly of him, Father. However, the crimes committed by the daughter of the Chamberlain are unforgivable. If the punishment meted out isn't harsh enough, it might prompt others to try the same route as well. Moreover, if an official is incapable of educating their children, how can they be trusted to help govern the kingdom?"

"Hmmm, your words do make sense." The Emperor nodded. "Speaking of the Chamberlain's daughter, is she really as beautiful as the daughter of the Minister of the Right? If not, why would both the Grand Tutor and the Duke of Anping speak out on her behalf? As I recall, both of them are single."

"I have heard some rumours about the girl, in fact. She is just a simple girl, incomparable in beauty to Miss Qi. Her features can be described as delicate at best, and she carries herself brusquely in public. However, she does indeed play the zither well. Perhaps, that might be why the Grand Tutor is interested in her. As for the Duke, I can only assume that some of the Grand Tutor's hobbies and preferences has rubbed off onto him, seeing as how they have been spending a lot of time together over the past two years."