Chapter 78: Neighbours

Finally, Situ's wish came through, and he got to take Feng Luodi out every day for the next few days. It was all in the name of teaching Feng Luodi archery, but he could not help but baby over her every time she fell off the horse or chafed her fingers from her bad archery skills. His excuse to himself, and to the rest of the Covert Guard that followed them in the shadows, was that her hands are too delicate for such work and that their only purpose was to play the zither.

Of course, his actions incited a wave of rage amongst the Covert Guards. Just to remember how stern he was with us during our training sends a chill down my spine! Of course, he was much stricter with himself.

Covert Guard Quattor buried his head into Zero's chest and wailed. "I wanna be a girl too!" Zero rolled his eyes at the big baby in his arms.

Two peeled Quattor off Zero's chest and smacked his head. "The General wouldn't even so much as look at you even if you were a girl. Forget about it!"

Zero's eyes widened, unable to comprehend what he just heard. "Wait a minute! Two, are you saying that he...he likes the General THAT way?"

Two nodded sadly, and wiped away his imaginary tears.

Zero turned to Quattor and looked at him pitifully. "It must be really hard on you to have to guard Miss Feng every day then. Why didn't you tell us about it earlier!"

"Wait...what?" Quattor shook himself out of his act and finally realised what had happened. He ground his teeth together and lunged towards Two. "I am going to kill you!"

Zero quickly held him back. "Two just wants you to realise the impossibility of your feelings! Don't blame it on him."

"Get out of my way, Zero! Don't be misled by his words!" Quattor struggled free of Zero's grip.

In the distance, Situ's eye twitched as he applied medicine to Feng Luodi's chafed hands. Seems like those kids need a reminder...

"No need for that anymore, Situ. They'll crack open again anyway." Feng Luodi pushed his hands away.

Situ ignored her words, and carefully dressed her wound. He took the bow and arrow from Feng Luodi's uninjured hand and threw it aside. "No more archery for now. Just tell me what you want to eat and I'll hunt it down."

He'd meant to sound chivalrous, but Feng Luodi stared at him with her doe eyes. "Am I too stupid? I can't shoot an arrow properly even after three days."

Situ swallowed. Of course you can't shoot properly! There's no strength in your arms, nor grip in your hands, nor aim in your eyes. He rephrased his thoughts carefully. "It's my mistake. The bow is too heavy for you to aim and shoot properly. We'll practice again when we get you a lighter bow. Let's just learn to ride for now."

"Alright." Feng Luodi was easily convinced, and nodded obediently.

Situ patted her head and whistled loudly. Whirlwind quickly trotted over from the distant, a reddish-brown mare following behind him. Feng Luodi pursed her lips. Why does he always pat my head? I'm not that short! She trudged to the mare, and looked her in the eyes.

The mare's eyes were huge and docile, snorting lightly as she pawed the ground gently. Feng Luodi shook her head as she recalled the mare's name. I can't believe that man actually named a horse 'Rose'.

Just as she was about to mount Rose, Situ's hoarse shout rang through the air.

"Who's there?"

Two stepped out of nowhere, dragging a man by his collar. Compared to the Xuan, the man was rougher looking, with deep-set eyes and a sharp nose: defining features of the Huns. Two threw the man to the floor. "Who sent you?"