Chapter 61: Autumnal Hunt

"Luodi!" Qi Jianqiu clung onto Feng Luodi, ignoring Situ's judgemental looks.

Feng Luodi patted her head and laughed lightly. "Is your father afraid that the young masters at the hunt would be too enchanted by your beauty to focus on their horse-riding?"

Situ added from the side. "From what I've heard and observed over the past few years, you're spot on about that."

Feng Luodi's eyes widened, not expecting her casual jibe to be true. More than that, she was surprised that Situ had joined in such 'meaningless' banter.

Feng Luodi was pleasantly surprised, but Qi Jianqiu was deeply hurt. She pouted and looked at Feng Luodi with her puppy eyes. "Luodi! How could you laugh at me along with him?"

"Hey, I was complimenting your beauty!" Feng Luodi dragged Qi Jianqiu and the two of them sat down on a bench. She couldn't hold her curiosity in and turned to Qi Jianqiu again. "Is that really the reason?"

"Mmmmmmm." Qi Jianqiu nodded, crestfallen.

Feng Luodi shrugged helplessly. "I can't help you if it's that reason, then. Anyway, it's the loss of the young masters' if they can't focus on the Autumnal Hunt. All the important people would be there!"

Situ raised his teacup. She can really look past appearances and into the heart of every matter! I'm sure the Emperor would appreciate such qualities.

Qi Jianqiu turned back and glared at Situ. "You were the one who told me that Luodi would have a plan to help me if I came to your residence! You liar!"

Situ shrugged coolly. "You can't blame me for that. Luodi is the one who can't come up with a plan to help you!"

Qi Jianqiu was fuming, but there was nothing she could do save to return to the Qi household. Just before she'd left the courtyard, Feng Luodi smiled.

"What do you like from the Guan Mountains; I'll give you all of my spoils. That'll be as good as you going yourself, wouldn't it?"

Qi Jianqiu beamed. "I want foxes, hares, roe deers and...just get me everything that is small and cute!"

"Alright, alright. Be careful on your way back!"

When Qi Jianqiu was out of earshot, Situ spoke up lazily. "You don't even know how to ride a horse, do you?"

Is this man saying that I can't hung? Feng Luodi glared at him. "You and Moyin would surely help me, wouldn't you? I'm sure Xue Yiqi can hunt as well."

Situ eye twitched. How can she just push the responsibility to us so easily? "Well, you might be disappointed to hear that there are no roe deers nor cute foxes in the Guan Mountains." He took a sip of tea.

"What? Are you saying that there are only rabbits in the mountains?"

"That is, if you don't count the tigers."

"TIGERS?!" Feng Luodi was excited. The only tigers she'd seen before were on television and in zoos. Wild tigers! That is the highlight of the Hunt, then! Well, that, and seeing the 7th Prince fail miserably.

Situ stood up, and pointed at the room she had slept in for the past few stays. "You'll be sleeping in there again tonight." He turned and returned to his own room.

Feng Luodi paused for a few moments outside her room, and she stared at Situ's bedroom. She shook her head as if to clear it of thoughts, before turning in for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, long, snaking trains of carriages and footmen slowly wound its way out of the streets of Chang'an, made up by the vast number of officials and their entourage attending the Autumnal Hunt.