Chapter 124: Troubles Resurface

"Duke of Anping, do you know why I have called you here?" The Emperor half reclined on his throne, his face full of fatigue. The Imperial Attendant stood by his side, massaging his shoulders.

"Your Majesty, please forgive me. May I know why you called me?" Situ remained calm.

The Emperor stood up with much effort and almost lost his balance. The Imperial Attendant quickly held onto him. Situ watched all this happened and he became even calmer.

"I thought that with the capabilities of your subordinates, there won't be anything that is unknown to you in the entire Chang'an." The Emperor walked towards Situ with the help of the Imperial Attendant.

Situ immediately bowed. "You are speaking too highly of me, Your Majesty. Chang'an is vast and has many people; how can I know everything that is happening? Also, my subordinates are your subordinates too. Your Majesty should view them as your own people."

"It was just a thoughtless remark of mine, why are you so nervous?" The Emperor smiled and patted Situ's shoulder. He walked back to his throne and sighed.

"The Imperial Treasurer has died in the Imperial Prison. I have sent someone to take a look. It wasn't suicide."

"The Imperial Prison has a strong defence, who will be able to enter and kill the Imperial Treasurer?"

"That is what I want to know too." The Emperor spoke calmly, yet the anger was visible underneath the calmness. "Although the Imperial Treasurer received the death penalty, murdering him is unacceptable. Is this person mocking me?" The Emperor raised his hand and smacked his throne with full force.

"Please calm your anger, your Majesty. Please take care of your health." Situ tried to appease the Emperor. "There are many capable officials in court; the truth will definitely be uncovered."

"That is exactly what I am worried about." The Emperor finally sat down. He slowly said to Situ as he knocked his hand on the table, "A criminal is killed in the Imperial Prison. Both the  Office of Imperial Clan Affairs and the Judicial Bureau are responsible. Hence, they cannot be involved in the investigation any longer."

"Yes this is right, but" Situ paused, "the Imperial Treasurer is the main culprit of the embezzlement case; I'm sure that there are people who want to kill him desperately. Could it be that someone wants to shut him up for good?"

"I have my questioned this before," the Emperor said truthfully, "by right, the Heir has the biggest suspicion. However, my men have been watching him closely. This isn't his doing."

"Your Majesty really put in a lot of effort for the Heir." Situ sighed.

The Emperor smiled, "He is my son. I understand him the best. Anyway, the Imperial Treasurer is a 2nd Rank Officer. This case must have someone from the Imperial Family to be in-charge in order to please everyone. However, the Heir has his hands stained in the case, Eighth Prince just came back from his work in the Shanyin Province and the rest of the Princes are either mediocre or too young."

The Emperor suddenly looked at Situ amiably. "I've thought it through and reached the conclusion that it is best if you can take charge of this case as a representative of the Imperial Family. I have full faith in your ability and impartialness."

"What abilities do I have to represent the Imperial Family?" Situ frowned, rejecting the order immediately. "Your Majesty has many Princes. There will definitely be someone suitable for the position."

"None of my sons is as capable as you, my Duke. I still trust you the most." The Emperor looked straight at Situ. "I do not wish that you would reject my offer."